Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: injured deer

Default Re: injured deer

Hold up I could swer I saw in the Game book that you can shoot a deer that is hurt on the road... I dont have mine with me but look in the section of roadkill
    ΑΣΦ

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    Hold up I could swer I saw in the Game book that you can shoot a deer that is hurt on the road... I dont have mine with me but look in the section of roadkill
    All you have to do is do a search for "injured road" at the PGC website and you'll see otherwise in the findings.

You call the PGC if discover an injured critter. If it needs put down, they will direct someone to do so whether it is one of their own wardens, another LEO or you personally.

(York County)

Can I just say that I hate when it is referred to as "Dipatching" the animal. Sounds to PC and elitist for me. When I hit a deer in MD a few years ago it was not dead, so I killed it. I did not "dispatch" it. I pulled the Mossy from the trunk, and put my tag on his ear after I killed it.
    As an EMS owrker, dispatch to me sounds like you asked it go somewhere else.

Dave W.
    3%

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    Well... Kind of... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Monroe County)

As always check the regs but I'm in agreement with everyone else, it is not lawful to kill any animal outside of the permitted seasons for any reason and doing so will land you in hot water as it is considered poaching.

The correct action is to call the local police agency and report an accident with a deer, advise that the deer is still alive but severely injured, I believe the LEO should be able to deal with it from there. I would suggest NOT telling the dispatcher that you are armed... generally speaking that results in a bad time.

You will also want the police report for the insurance claim if you are filing one.

If you just see an injured animal call the PGC and report it, unless it is either right on the road or on the shoulder it would be trespassing for you to go after it anyway, this is for ALL animals!

Never go off and kill an animal in PA, turkey, goose, duck, deer, tree rat, chipmunk, skunk, rabbit, bird... you name it they are ALL protected by the PGC and they can ALL cause you lots of issue if you try "dispatching" them, not only from the physical damage that a "dead" animal can cause you... animals are MEAN when they are "dead", but also from the legal sense as killing any animal outside season is considered poaching.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

here is the reg (from pgc)

Roadkilled Deer/Possessing Wildlife: It is unlawful at any time to
    possess live wildlife, except foxes for which a permit has been issued,
    or animals, or parts of animals, killed on highways. Pennsylvania
    residents may possess deer killed by a motor vehicle for personal
    consumption only if they secure a permit number from the Game
    Commission within 24 hours after taking the deer;
    call the appropri-
    ate region office. It is not legal to kill “put it out of its misery” any
    injured wildlife; again, call the region office.
    It is unlawful to give the
    whole or edible part of a deer killed on a highway to another person.
    Holders of a valid furtakers license may possess a furbearer killed on
    a highway, except for bobcats, fishers or river otters. Persons taking
    possession of any furbearer killed on a highway during the closed
    season for taking that furbearer shall within 24 hours contact any Game
    Commission region office to make notification of said possession.
    Also there are regs about how close to the road you can shoot... its a BAD idea
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

I have heard that some LEO's will not 'put down' (is that better wording?) an injured animal. Now the discussion I was having at the time was about a domestic horse so that may be different. But the LEO would not do it and said that a Vet. had to.

A week ago I saw a downed and injured deer sitting on Route 48 in Monroeville. There was a LEO car right next to it and it was sitting on the berm just looking around. I think the LEO must have been waiting for the PGC.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Erie County)

Some 20+ years ago I put a doe down that had been hit by a car just in front of me a bit. Traffic stopped in both direction because the deer was still in the road and her back legs wouldn't work. With a few different women at the scene pleading for someone to do something I offered to put the deer out of its misery and then did just that. A short while later the police showed up due to the damage to not just the car that hit the deer but another vehicle involved and when they learned what I'd done one of the officers explained to me that it was in fact illegal. He also stated that he had no intention of arresting me given the circumstances. Now this was a small town area and it seemed the officers were on a first name basis with several of the people at the scene so that probably had something to do with it. Just to show how different times were then, no one questioned why I had a gun in my pocket and when some of the other witnesses told the officer what I'd done I was never asked for my LTCF which I did have.

Last winter I posted about another injured deer by the road and this time I passed it by. I still regret that decision somewhat but I value my LTCF and my hunting privledges and didn't want to take the chance that this time an officer might not be so understanding especially considering this deer was in a much more developed area.
    Last edited by CoyoteJack; February 2nd, 2009 at 09:08 PM.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    I have heard that some LEO's will not 'put down' (is that better wording?) an injured animal. Now the discussion I was having at the time was about a domestic horse so that may be different. But the LEO would not do it and said that a Vet. had to.

A week ago I saw a downed and injured deer sitting on Route 48 in Monroeville. There was a LEO car right next to it and it was sitting on the berm just looking around. I think the LEO must have been waiting for the PGC.
    Putting down an injured horse would be a HUGE liability for a police officer.. they are very valuable animals and they would certainly be held financially responsible for the loss of the animal

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    Can I just say that I hate when it is referred to as "Dipatching" the animal. Sounds to PC and elitist for me. When I hit a deer in MD a few years ago it was not dead, so I killed it. I did not "dispatch" it. I pulled the Mossy from the trunk, and put my tag on his ear after I killed it.

Dave W.
    Would it be better to say you pwned it? LOL

I know someone who was on his way to his other house and came across a deer that was hit on some back road, its back legs out, still alive, so he got his p3at out, loaded a round and shot the deer in the head. I'm not sure of the MD regs on this, though the shooting on the roadside no doubt was illegal. The gun itself was ok, he had it unloaded and ammo seperate and was going from 1 of his properties to another. It might be ok to put the deer down with a knife or something though.

Pretty tough to see an animal like that and not be able to kill it right away.

Just so you also know, in PA and MD you cannot go and shoot a trapped animal unless you are the trapper or the trapper gave you the ok and you also have a valid trapping/furtaking lisc. I don't know who shot a raccoon I trapped this season, but it was through the neck muscle and was very much alive when I showed up. Probably a mistake by a small game hunter or the landowner himself, done earlier, not realizing it was in a trap. Was shot with a .22. However I have heard of trappers having animals shot with deer rifles, slug guns, and shotguns with birdshot, certainly not someone trying to help out. If you know its in a trap, leave it alone.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast