Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Knoxx stock?

(Lancaster County)

Default Knoxx stock?

Originally I thought this stock was ugly. Now I see why it looks like it does. Does anyone have one? How effective is it? I guess Im leaning toward the Remington 870 tactical with Knoxx. At least thats what Im thinking about today.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Knoxx stock?

We recently outfitted a few of our work 870's with pistol grip and Knoxx stock. I really like them more because I always felt the standard stock was too long for me. Being able able to shorten it up made a big difference in comfort and shootability. The Knoxx seems to reduce the felt recoil more also.
    http://tinyurl.com/y6jhwkw CLICK TO DONATE I'm riding again in 2010!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Originally I thought this stock was ugly. Now I see why it looks like it does. Does anyone have one? How effective is it? I guess Im leaning toward the Remington 870 tactical with Knoxx. At least thats what Im thinking about today.
    I recommend them. They are quite effective at reducing recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by LM4300 View Post
    We recently outfitted a few of our work 870's with pistol grip and Knoxx stock. I really like them more because I always felt the standard stock was too long for me. Being able able to shorten it up made a big difference in comfort and shootability. The Knoxx seems to reduce the felt recoil more also.
    Most defensive shotgun stocks are too long for the avg human. Defensive tactics require shooting from a more squared off stance and often with gear/body armor. Both of these things require a shorter legnth of pull.

But shotgun manufacturers carelessly sell "defensive" shotguns with regular (avg) legnths of pull. Typically 14 to 14.5 "
    I am avg height with over the avg wingspan and I cut my defensive shotguns to 13" LOP. 1" to 1.5" is significant decrease in LOP.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; February 17th, 2009 at 12:48 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Philadelphia County)

Thumbs up Re: Knoxx stock?

I have a 870 with 18" barrel and +2 mag extension shot 25 00 buck shots without it and 25 00 buck with it on. now I am 6'5" so the length of pull how the 870's come from the factory is fine for me even with gear on so the adjustability isn't a concern for me but I guess it's still nice to have. as far as recoil reduction the Knoxx stock goes a long way in taming the 00 buck and slugs it is truely is an impressive device. now having said that any of the higher power rounds your still going to feel but the biggest difference for me is that after 20-50 rounds of 00 buck with a normal stock your feeling it (and probably not wanting to shoot any more) shooting the same amount with a Knoxx stock you'll be ok to shoot all day with no problems so yeah +1 for Knoxx stock.

(Allegheny County)

I read that actually trying to obtain a cheek weld with the knoxx stocks is difficult, and due to the sliding recoil reduction mechanism, can result in some face slappage.

I'm on the fence with one only because the LOP on the std Remington 870 stock is just inside my limits. (Which is also way outside of my confort zone.) I would love to be able to wrap in 2" tighter. It would also make it possible for the lady to shoot. As it stands, she can barely shoulder the thing because of her limited reach. Not that it is really her weapon... but I like to keep everything in the house useable by either of us. You never know who is going to grab what in an emergency. And this was definitely purchased to be THE weapon to grab in one.

PA Pat,
    Can you shorten the polymer stocks too? I have a ton of tools at my disposal, but no idea what I need to be doing. I would like it to retain the recoil pad, and have it not look horrid when I am done?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    but I like to keep everything in the house useable by either of us.
    Smart move.

PA Pat,
    Can you shorten the polymer stocks too? I have a ton of tools at my disposal, but no idea what I need to be doing. I would like it to retain the recoil pad, and have it not look horrid when I am done?
    Typically, yes.

Here is an example. 7/8" removed (the cut-off piece is in the pic for comparison) and the recoil pad re-ground to fit. Of course, a more absorbent/effective pad such as those from Hi-Viz or Pachmyer can be installed also which furthers the comfort.

Speaking of compatibility, the above gun is my personal shotgun and the amount removed was the median between my wife and my optimum length for the exact reason you previously mentioned I required approx 5/8" reduction and she required about an inch or slightly over. The result fits us both more than suitably.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; February 17th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Clearfield County)

Put one on my Mossie that I use for coyote's The 2 things I like most about it
    1. When your seated with your back to a tree you can make it short
    2. This is Mossbergs turkey gun with a 20" barrel and it takes most of the "sting" out of those 3" mags
    If you get on make sure you get the special tool to install it. It looks like a long screw driver with a round hex thing on the end. You car nuts use them and there is a name for it but I will plead ignorance. Any who, you can not install the Knoxx stock without it.

(Bucks County)

I read that actually trying to obtain a cheek weld with the knoxx stocks is difficult, and due to the sliding recoil reduction mechanism, can result in some face slappage.
    I can attest to what you're describing. My Mossie with Knoxx stock lets my cheek know it's there. Probably more of a flaw in my technique than the gear, though.

For the reasons PA Pat already described, it makes it quicker to point and helps noticeablyl with recoil though. I'd definitely buy it again, if I had it to do all over.

(Centre County)

I recently bought the knoxx breacher grip for my moss 500 12g. Haven't tried it out yet, but was wondering is it normal to have a small gap between the new grip and receiver? The lug is tightened as far as it goes, everything looks right... but i'd hate to find out the hard way.

(Clearfield County)

Tntblaster.....the gap is ok and nothing of concern. I have been pounding 3 1/2
    mags out of mine for about three years without a hitch.