Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Citation at a State Game Land Range

I was at the SGL 205 today in Leihigh county. Was shooting my Ruger SP-101 having a good time. The game land officer drives up watch me shoot my 5 rounds. Then asks me to come over. He said the range has a 3 shot at a time limit and handed me a $75 to $200 citation. The charge states "Unlawfully possess and discharge a firearm containing more than three rounds of ammunition on a commission rifle range". Are these ranges on SGL differ on what we can and cannot shoot in regards to rifle or handguns? Are they listed as "Rifle Range" or "Handgun Range"? I was not farmiliar with this place, a friend took me there.

Then I get home and look up the PA Code 135.181. It states Handguns are allowed up to six shots where rifles are at three rounds max.

Please help. Unless this particular range (SGL205) is listed as a "Rifle Range" Do I have a case to dispute this?

(Jefferson County)

Default re: Citation at a State Game Land Range

I'm not sure about the legal differences for the rifle/handgun ranges in comparison to the regulation to capacity.

Just fight it at the Magistrate's office. Print out a copy of the law/regulation and present it at the hearing. Should be an easy win.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Yes, please do fight this and take a copy of the law with you. Jesus, what a prick...can't imagine anyone actually pinching someone with something so cheesy.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

The sign at my game land clearly states 6 rounds in a pistol. It's only 3 for a rifle.

I did get one of those one time because I shot 4 rounds out of a bolt gun. Yeah, it was one more than the rule stated but I had 4 rounds left and just loaded them up. As soon as I pulled the trigger on the last round he came around the corner and gave me hell. He took my info and said I'd get a citation in the mail. I did get it but it was written as a warning.

That's total bullshit. It's annoyng enough havng to load 3 rounds in a AR and 6 in my M&P but you were following the rules to the letter.

Fight it.

(Montgomery County)

take the law with you, AND go back to the range and examine the posted regulations, should be a big orange printed sign, possibly stapled to the tables also.

my local SGL at french Creek has the "6 rounds in a handgun" crossed out and "3 rounds in ALL guns" markered in on all copies.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Take photographs of the range and the rules if they are like Jay says. Make sure you note the date, time, person taking the photo's and all relevent info...

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    my local SGL at french Creek has the "6 rounds in a handgun" crossed out and "3 rounds in ALL guns" markered in on all copies.
    Ok, I understand they're trying to make a safe environment but this is totally ridiculous.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Ok, I understand they're trying to make a safe environment but this is totally ridiculous.

its not for safety, they are trying to limit the amount of rounds you send downrange.

obviously, they make you reload more, wasting more time, also limiting the amount of use by making sure the tables keep filled if its busy.

like gun laws, its not aboutsafety, its about "control"
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    its not for safety, they are trying to limit the amount of rounds you send downrange.

obviously, they make you reload more, wasting more time, also limiting the amount of use by making sure the tables keep filled if its busy.

like gun laws, its not aboutsafety, its about "control"
    Out of curiousity......are officers allowed to change range rules arbitrarily?

Lycaninterestingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Jefferson County)

Here is their proclaimed reason for round counts.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=480&q=161297

Users should also practice good shooting etiquette. The regulation, for example, that limits a shooter to having no more than three rounds in a rifle (six in a handgun) may not seem to make much sense.

What it does, though, is give shooters a chance to check their targets without having to wait for those who may want to shoot long strings. This same regulation prohibits people using firearms with large capacity magazines from monopolizing time on the range, and also causing inordinate damage, particularly to backstops.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast