Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default re: Citation at a State Game Land Range

if these ranges are run by the state, then don't the same rules apply to all of them? can the rules at one be different than the rules at another?

(Bucks County)

Hey guys! Thanks SO much for your posts! Anyway, we were the only ones there and only the two us were shooting taking turns. No one else at this range. I just emailed my friend who lives up there to get a picture of the posted sign. My question is, do all SGL ranges allows rifles and handguns or are they sometimes a handgun range or rifle range only? I ask this because this might have been a rifle range that I didn't notice it being posted as such. That's the only logical explanation I can give myself for getting this citation. I'll find out as soon as my friend takes that picture.

I'm more pissed because the officers could have just given us a warning if in fact we were breaking any rules. No harm done, no law was broken. They just wanted to be pricks is the way I see it.

I'll keep you all posted how this turns out.

J

(Erie County)

Was reading your post.
    Found this on the PGL site.
    Appears not all ranges are for rifles and handguns.
    link:http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=480&q=161297

Hope that all turns out OK for you.
    "We The People..."

(Bucks County)

I don't know whay this got moved to misc/lounge. I would think it's an important topic for members especially getting the word out about rules and regulations at a State commissioned shooting range. Don't want to see other members here go through it.

Anyway, my friend took pictures of the sign posted. It doesn't say anywhere it's a rifle only range. Same form letter/post as the regulations online except on this particular orange sign the part that says "Except for Handguns are allow max 6 shots" were magic markered over the words. Is this legal? Can't figure out how to post pics.

Please help.

Jimmy

(Northampton County)

This isnt the first time I've heard of this there. Friends have said the same and stopped going there because of it. I personally dont bother going there, mostly from what others have told me. I ponied up for a membership at a place I can unload full mags and they dont care.
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.JFK

(Allegheny County)

I guess I got lucky. Last time I went to the range, I did a full 18 round mag dump with my Glock several times, turns out the Game Warden (Or whatever their official title) was standing about 20' behind me the whole time. Grinning. Like a wildcat about to pounce.

And then he just said "Remember, six rounds." and walked off.

(different SGL range)

(Bucks County)

I used to go to that particular range (SGL 205) fairly often. There is no issue with shooting a handgun there. It's not really rifle or pistol specific. I have seen a lot of crazy things there though. A guy with a Mossberg 500 shotgun with a scope mounted on it shooting birdshot at target on the 50 yard stand. I was sighting in a .22 I had gotten, and when I went down to check my targets, they were peppered with small holes. I put two and two together and told the guy he wasn't really supposed to be shooting shot at the range. That didn't stop him though.

People pull up, find room somewhere, and just blast full mags out of pistols. Then, they stuff them in their waistband and leave.

I know a few friends of mine were issued citations/fines for shooting spent shotgun shells off the target stand with their .22's, and stopped going there. A co-workers brother got busted for putting too many rounds into their rifle. I just know that the wardens around there are pricks about the rules, so don't mess around. Shame you got busted for doing something that I think is totally acceptable.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbola View Post
    I'm more pissed because the officers could have just given us a warning if in fact we were breaking any rules. No harm done, no law was broken. They just wanted to be pricks is the way I see it.

Sounds like he was suffering from "I have a badge and you don't" syndrome.

Or possibly "I use my badge as a show of power" syndrome.

Both are very common...

(Beaver County)

These rules are enforced for the benefit of those commonly known as "Fudds". I guess we'll all be there, some day, but it's a bit of a pain, when you're interested in something other than launching your annual three rounds of 30-30 prior to rifle season. There should be enough of us, here, to make a change, if we organize. Let's start a petition.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Monroe County)

the 6 for a pistol and 3 for a Rifle i think is a state wide thing. its been at every SGL ive gone to, about 4 total in NEPA.

sounds like this guy was just being a prick.

doesn't our tax money go to pay for the range, and the wardens paychecks?

i would fight it. but i wouldn't know where to go to complain about it.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast