Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Other Parking Lot when Work/School Forbids Firearms

For those of you whose place of work / school / etc does not allow firearms anywhere on premises (not in the building, not in your car on their parking lot):

Would you consider parking elsewhere and leaving your firearm there?

Do you make your firearm safe before storage?

Do you store the firearm and ammunition separately?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Other Parking Lot when Work/School Forbids Firearms

do you have a locker or locking desk at work? as far as schools, are you talking college?

depends on more variables: both the specifics of where you're going and your personal feelings regarding violating a rule that puts you at risk by prohibiting you to defend your life.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

Quote Originally Posted by CTFish View Post
    For those of you whose place of work / school / etc does not allow firearms anywhere on premises (not in the building, not in your car on their parking lot):

Would you consider parking elsewhere and leaving your firearm there?

Do you make your firearm safe before storage?

Do you store the firearm and ammunition separately?
    Of course, all of those things.

I would not feel particularly comfortable leaving my truck parked off campus even with my firearm in a locked safe hidden away. I was able to find a loophole of sorts in our system. I live off campus. While I would love to be able to carry on campus, it is just feasible right now and not worth the risk. I NEVER take any firearms on campus. My apartment contract/lease clearly states that I may not have any kind of firearms "in my apartment building". It's ridiculous but expected from a company that handles almost exclusively college student apartments. I can even be in violation of my lease by having a water gun or nerf gun, no lie. My firearm stays unloaded in my truck in a safe 10 feet from my backdoor. I usually bring the loaded magazine into my apartment with me, as I would prefer to separate the two if I'm leaving my firearm in my truck. My nieghbor and good friend does the same. I would go ask my landlords to clarify but I might give them the idea. The last thing I want them to do is change the lease so I'm in violation by keeping firearms in my truck. I would say honestly that if SHTF and it did last year we had my campus locked down, my firearm was brought inside my apartment that day. In an emergency situation I'll violate a few rules and risk losing my apartment to stay safe.

~ Derek
    Last edited by Derek; February 1st, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Dauphin County)

On days that I work I lock my gun up in my car. I have one of those flat car safes with a key lock. When im at school I usually do the same thing. I dont ever bring it in class. Other than that chances are if you see me Im armed.
    Last edited by crakkajakka15; February 1st, 2009 at 02:44 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    In an emergency situation I'll violate a few rules and risk losing my apartment to stay safe.
    A lot of people take the position that if not illegal, they carry. To me, in some circumstances, my life and those of my family are more important than any rules, lease, etc. I can always find a new place to live/shop/go to school/etc.

YMMV
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; March 12th, 2009 at 04:25 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Indiana County)

I wonder if the lease prohibition could be considered illegal since it violates public policy. And if Article 1, Section 21 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution isn't public policy, then what is?

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    I wonder if the lease prohibition could be considered illegal since it violates public policy. And if Article 1, Section 21 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution isn't public policy, then what is?
    The apartment is still private property so I believe they can get away with it. Could be wrong, IANAL.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

Mine is locked in my truck while at work. It is right outside my window and we also have 24/7 security at the gate so I am not too worried about anyone accessing my vehicle. My boss knows that I carry, but we have one woman in my office that I know would be the first to call corporate if see ever saw it on me. when I get done for the day it goes right back on my hip before I am even out of the parking lot.

(Allegheny County)

I'm still trying to dig up the actual cases, but many judges have ruled that a "no firearms on company property" does NOT apply to employees' vehicles. In effect, a vehicle is an extension of the employee's private property. So anything considered legal on the employee's property is considered legal in the vehicle as well. You can't have dope in your truck, but you *can* store a firearm.

IANAL!! Don't take this as gospel. But there *is* precedent.

A link to John Lott's website with some useful links that can be followed:

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2008/0...ty-rights.html

I am lucky to work in a place that does not have such foolish "safety" policies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast