Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Is the semi auto rifle (AR/AK) shortage over?

I'm starting to wonder if the demand for semi auto rifles, specifically the AR's and AK's is starting to fall off or is it that supply is now catching up with demand.

I read an article last week that talked about Obama easing up on the Assault Weapons Ban due to lack of support. I've been thinking of getting an AR15 and in the last two shops I've been in they have had quite an assortment to choose from that included S&W, DPMS, Bushmaster, and a few others.

What have you seen at your local shops? Have you seen prices start to fall off at all?
    KG32A

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Is the semi auto rifle (AR/AK) shortage over?

FWIW and just an observation from my latest travel;

Two Indiana gunshops I visited in my lunch time - both had 1 AR each in stock at time of visit; one a Plinker Plus for just under $700.00 and another shop had a lefty Stag M4rgery for under $1100.00. The shop with the PPLus also had 1 WASR AK, 1 AMD65, 1 Tantal, and 3 .308 16" SAIGAs for $550.00 each (sweet!).

The shop with the Stag had 1 WASR AK and two FS2000's.

Both shops said that as they - EBRs - arrive they are selling.

I thought long and hard about the lefty Stag I handled, went back 2 days later and it was gone. In its place was a DPMS Panther; the guy said he got 7 Panther Lites into the shop in the preceding 24 hours - and was now down to the one I found in the rack where the Stag was.

He said more Stags, Panthers, Bush, S&W were trickling in almost daily, just check in everyday at FedEx time. His 1 WASR was also gone on my re-visit but the 2 FS2000s just sat. (Did not bother to revisit the other shop as it is asshole/elbow at lunchtime).

So in my unscientific survey - I'd say No, demand is still out there, just more or less of a demand depending on geography. IE; Do the folks have the money to spend?

I'd also say based on my conversations at the 2 shops that more and more ARs are trickling in - again, depends on geography and a shop's relationship with their distributors. (I personally witnessed a MAJOR wholesaler playing games with their dealers in December - rationing out DPMS and Arsenal guns one/two at a time with a good dose of Obamanoia, while whole pallets of same sat available inside their warehouse to sell...)

Who knows about AKs and WASRs, although I have heard a very strong rumor (FTF, not Internet BS) not worth stirring the shiit over regarding the future of certain imports...
    Let's just say that it is looking as I predicted all along; if it's imported and you want it - get it now as they will be the first to become "unavailable" by any means needed, while domestic (USA-made = USA jobs) will be safe.

JM2cents

(Delaware County)

The aluminum 10/22 mags I ordered in November just came in. Still waiting on the Spike's lower I ordered in mid-December.

Things maybe better than they were just after the election, but it's not like 2007. AK prices are still nearly double what they should be.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Allegheny County)

Not sure if the shortage is over, but I definitely think that demand is decreasing a little.

A few months ago, I never saw any kind of semi rifles. I do see stores with ARs, SIG 556, PS90, GSGs, etc. Still, the only place that I saw AKs were at duhnams and they had the typical WASR for $600.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Butler County)

I agree that I think demand is starting to trend down allowing supply to catch up. I've been looking at GunBroker and there are so many AR15s on there that don't seem to be selling. I've noticed the pricing starting to come down but only by about $50-$100. I noticed the same with the WASR's.

There was such a strong surge of demand after the election but it's been 6 months now. Those that felt strongly about buying one may have reacted quickly or may not be able to spend the money with the current economy.
    KG32A

(Allegheny County)

I think supply has started catching up with demand slightly. Or things are trickling in with greater "trickle".

Went to dunhams to buy ammo 2 weeks ago. They got in a few AMD 65's. Came back the next day. All gone, so was half the other stuff on the rack. Went in last night, they had another for $100 more! $700. So yeah. I bought it anyway after they threw in a few discounts because I buy there frequently.

Was $550 / I paid $600. I wanted it, she has wanted one for at least a year now... so we both chipped in and took it home.

But their racks are bare of the normal variety you see there. They had a tantal too that I'd be all about but I'm not trying to delve into another caliber at the moment.

It won't be there tomorrow.

The other place I frequent had next to nothing in stock and after briefly speaking with the owner he simply shook his head. "I got nothing, and can't get anything in - it's all spoken for..." Meaning he is selling things out before he even gets it in and is so back ordered his shop is empty. The other place I go had a better selection. A couple AR's of varying type, mostly varmint bull guns, a few M4 style rifles. One of which was some factory kitted gun with dot/vltor goodies and FF rail / laser. All the prices were sky high so it explains why they had stock. They had some very shitty looking AK's in the $600+ range as well. And 2 dragonov / PSL clones around $900. They had FN S2000 / MSAR 556 / and PS90 as well. All again, priced... way way up explaining their inventory status.

Going on GB searching for AR parts / uppers / barrels etc. Forget it. Its like not there compared to how it used to be.

I still think the demand is pumping along at a very steady pace. The only time they are really hitting a slow is when the rip off artists jack prices to exorbitant levels.

In the end you can admonish me for paying more than what I honestly believe is fair price for a Hungarian AK. But I also subscribe to nfafan's school of thought where these things are going to get harder to come by. Yeah I could have possibly tried to hunt one down. But it was there, immaculate, and I could spare the money between the two of us.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; April 29th, 2009 at 01:43 PM.

I just recieved a call from Model 1 sales saying that my lower is now just being shipped and i ordered it back in beginning of march..So guess we will see in the coming weeks,months if things will go down, But i dont expect the prices to be as they were in the past. Just my .02 cents

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Not sure if the shortage is over, but I definitely think that demand is decreasing a little.

A few months ago, I never saw any kind of semi rifles. I do see stores with ARs, SIG 556, PS90, GSGs, etc. Still, the only place that I saw AKs were at duhnams and they had the typical WASR for $600.
    Speaking of Dunham's - the McKnight store today had ZERO WASRs, 1 "HK-93" clone for $750.00, and what I think was an Armalite with the fluted barrel and free-float tube. No more HK SL-9, no more FN FS2000.

They said their EBRs are still moving fast.

(Montgomery County)

I think demand is waning slowly. I talked to a rep at Del-TOn a few days ago, and he said they're still working on orders from January, but they're seeing less orders come in per day recently.
    I know around me, shops are still selling AR's hours after they get them. A guy and his soln were in the shop looking at one and opted not to get it. 15 minutes later, while I was still there, they called and had the guy put it aside for them.

I don't know about AK's. I did see a Yugo SKS on the shelf of a local shop with a price tag of $600 that sat there for a while, may still be there and that was 2 weeks ago. Another shop had piles of SKS's at $400 each minimum, but he had literally just sold all of them.

Something is not right in the world when a beat up used surplus SKS sells for $400, and a Yugo is priced at $600.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RRatch View Post
    <snip>

Something is not right in the world when a beat up used surplus SKS sells for $400, and a Yugo is priced at $600.
    Off-topic and not to be argumentative;

But when you think of what folks are paying for the almost toy-like-constructed GSG .22LR plinker - a .22LR built-up in a kewl shape - then the $400.00 - $600.00 for a wood and machined steel combat-proven rifle is a freakin' steal.

We've just been spoiled with reasonable prices for a long time now, but like cheap gas; those days are now over.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast