Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Wife says she wants a revolver

I know very little about them, can someone suggest some where to read up on them? Or give me an idea what I should look for with them. Thanks!

This will be a range/practice gun, and probably something she might keep in the night stand.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Wife says she wants a revolver

This should be the right size revolver for her

J/K! I would wait until the Ruger LCR is available, that would be a nice gun. I would recommend a 22 for pratice and a 357 mag for home defense.

(Lackawanna County)

Hell, I'd stay with the Raging Bull....but then you'd have to get her a new purse, so that's out. Tons of information about revolvers here and online in general. Even check out the manufacturer's websites. Go to a gunshop and handle some stuff, see what feels right for her.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Allegheny County)

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

(Cumberland County)

Great, I showed her the raging bull and now she wants one....I showed her the lcr, she says it looks too small like my lcp. I see some rugers that do look decent though like the sp101.

(Bucks County)

Take her to a range that rents them. Let her decide what she wants.

I hate 38 snub noses but that's what she carries. And her groups are almost as tight as mine with a 1911 at the range.
    Last edited by Jim1911; January 29th, 2009 at 11:01 PM.

(Lycoming County)

as with any handgun a smaller gun will be easy to conceal/carry but harder (sometimes painful/unfun) to shoot and vise-versa with larger guns. if it is something you would mainly use for target but occasionally use for personal defense IMO a 4 inch 6 shot 357 is a good choice. there are alot of firearms configured as such and ammo is reasonably priced. one nice thing is you can shoot lower recoiling and cheaper 38 spl or full power 357.

A lot of people make the mistake of getting a "little" gun for women. Snubby .38 specials (especially the lightweights) are some of the hardest guns to shoot well.

I would suggest a S&W 4" .357 mag loaded with target .38 special loads. If the price is too high for new, I'd go used before going with a Taurus unless you find a Taurus that you really like for whatever reason.

Not too big, not too small, not too heavy, not too light... vast variety of ammo that is readily available and relatively inexpensive... good supply of aftermarket grips to find the right fit.

I agree with letting her decide what to get and staying away from j frame size guns.

My wife is tiny and likes her 4" S&W Model 10 and 2 3/4 Speed Six.

A 4" 357 from S&W, Colt, Ruger, or Taurus is about the best all around handgun.

Revolvers are great as they have a simple manual of arms and can take ammo over a broad power range.

I'd suggest stainless for ease of maintenance.
    Last edited by GRIZ; January 29th, 2009 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    A lot of people make the mistake of getting a "little" gun for women. Snubby .38 specials (especially the lightweights) are some of the hardest guns to shoot well.
    I would suggest a S&W 4" .357 mag loaded with target .38 special loads. If the price is too high for new, I'd go used before going with a Taurus unless you find a Taurus that you really like for whatever reason.

Not too big, not too small, not too heavy, not too light... vast variety of ammo that is readily available and relatively inexpensive... good supply of aftermarket grips to find the right fit.
    it depends...i shoot fairly well with a small snubnose .38 in particular a S&W airweight .38... i do concur however to get a .357 because of the versatility of the ammo....light 38's to the stoutest .357, i must say that i like a small revolver and when i get to CC i will buy a small .357 mag probably a snubby to carry as my primary...just get some hogue/pachmayr grips and put on any of these type of guns and the recoil is more than tolerable. jmo but to tell you the truth my shit dont stink...:P lol just messing
    Reputation is what I strive for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast