Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Legallity of carrying a certain firearm

Ok, I know that you can not carry a loaded long arm, or have one loaded in a car. however, my question is about the serbu super shorty. technically the reason it is registered as an AOW is because when it comes from the factory before being sent to serbu, it is considered a smooth bore pistol because it has a pistol grip, and no stock. so am i correct in asuming that this is not to be considered a long arm, and can be carried. not that i am planning on carrying it around, just curious about it.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Legallity of carrying a certain firearm

Quote Originally Posted by poseidon5 View Post
    Ok, I know that you can not carry a loaded long arm,
    False.

Does that answer your other question?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

hunters walk the sides of roads after a long day in the woods on their way to their cars with loaded long guns....

just thought you might wanna know that.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Jefferson County)

As long as it meets the legal description of PA law its legal to carry concealed with a LTCF regardless of the designation by federal law as a AOW. Its a shotgun(smoothbore), it has a barrel less than 18", and it has an overall length less than 26".

And, you can carry a concealed loaded long gun under a trench coat or duster WITHOUT a license - legally. Just cant have a loaded long gun in a vehicle whether you are licensed or not.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Its a shotgun(smoothbore), it has a barrel less than 18", and it has an overall length less than 26".
    no, it's not a shotgun. if it was a shotgun it would be classified as an SBS = Short Barrelled Shotgun.

An "shotgun" TYPE AOW is a "pistol or revolver having a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell"

it's always best to be as accurate as possible when discussing legal status of firearms

either way, it qualifies as a "firearm" that can be carried on your PA LTCF.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    no, it's not a shotgun. if it was a shotgun it would be classified as an SBS = Short Barrelled Shotgun.

An "shotgun" TYPE AOW is a "pistol or revolver having a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell"

it's always best to be as accurate as possible when discussing legal status of firearms

either way, it qualifies as a "firearm" that can be carried on your PA LTCF.
    Thats still a misnomer too.. Because there are smoothbore pistols that were designed and chambered to shoot single projectile cartridges(bullets) that are legally AOW's. For the purpose of the LTCF, PA's law doesn't differentiate the legal difference between AOW's and SBS's.

Weirdness double applies when buying a >18" barrel+>26" OAL pistol grip only "shotgun", the sale is treated like a handgun(>21yo) under federal law.

The term shotgun is rather generic, what matters is the type of bore and stock/grip.

All really splitting hairs, either way it is covered under the LTCF.

EDIT- added the red above.
    Last edited by knight0334; January 29th, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Lawrence County)

Just cant have a loaded long gun in a vehicle whether you are licensed or not.
    And on that note, if I'm taking my AR out with loaded mags do they need to be in a separate container?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    And on that note, if I'm taking my AR out with loaded mags do they need to be in a separate container?
    § 6102. Definitions

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.

(Northampton County)

§ 6102. Definitions

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.
    So these

Are loaded?

Assume the magazines for both guns are full.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Jefferson County)

From that picture, if the magazines are loaded - they cant be inside that case.

You can have the loaded mags all over the dash, front seat, glovebox, etc - but not within the same case as the long gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast