Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Non-resident firearm purchase?

Hello all, I have been using browsing the PAFOA website for a while but dont think I have ever actually posted anything yet.

I have a question concerning purchasing a shotgun. I want to buy a Mossburg 500 Cruiser. This gun: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/54553

I am from Maryland but attend school in Philadelphia and live here at my off-campus residence. Am I able to purchase this gun in PA even though I am not an official resident (I have a MD drivers license)? Will there be any resrictions because this is a pistol-grip shotgun?

Also, if I go to a local gun shop in Philadelphia, am I able to just tell them what I want and have them order it for me, and than contact me when it comes into the shop? This will be my first firearm purchase so I am not completely sure of how it all works. Thanks in advance for any help at all, and I look forward to being a part of the PAFOA community!

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Non-resident firearm purchase?

As I understand Federal Law, If it's legal to own in MD you can buy it in PA as it is a long gun. If it's not legal in MD you can't. Some FFLs won't sell to out of state period. Federal law applies here.

Quote Originally Posted by 9parabellum View Post
    Hello all, I have been using browsing the PAFOA website for a while but dont think I have ever actually posted anything yet.

I have a question concerning purchasing a shotgun. I want to buy a Mossburg 500 Cruiser. This gun: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/54553

I am from Maryland but attend school in Philadelphia and live here at my off-campus residence. Am I able to purchase this gun in PA even though I am not an official resident (I have a MD drivers license)? Will there be any resrictions because this is a pistol-grip shotgun?

Also, if I go to a local gun shop in Philadelphia, am I able to just tell them what I want and have them order it for me, and than contact me when it comes into the shop? This will be my first firearm purchase so I am not completely sure of how it all works. Thanks in advance for any help at all, and I look forward to being a part of the PAFOA community!
    USNRET '61-'81

(Berks County)

It was always my own understanding that PA has some pretty easy-going, non-strict laws when it comes to firearms purchasing. ???

(Philadelphia County)

I think that buying out of state is a no-no.

You can buy it here, but they must ship it to your state and you do the transfer there.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

You can buy it here, but they must ship it to your state and you do the transfer there.

That only applies to handguns, longs guns are ok.

(Tioga County)

That is true for pistols not long guns.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

USNRET '61-'81

As a NY resident I have bought long guns (actually AR lowers) here. If it is legal to own in your home state you can buy it as per PA law. Some employees may not be familiar with this law, so be patient, and ask them to look into the issue if they think that there is a problem. That said, in a recent thread Gunlawyer001 brought up an issue as far as the BATFE is concerned and seemd to think that under Federal law that such a purchase was questionable, perhaps he can chime in again as I cannot find the thread...though I do recall that it may have been an issue of FTF (no FFL involved) sales only.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Schuylkill County)

Related question.
    I own a home and land and pay property taxes in PA, but my legal residence is in NJ. I do have a NJ Firearms Purchaser ID card and a NJ drivers license. If I wanted to buy a long rifle in PA (The gun would not leave the state) could I not simply walk into a store buy a gun and walk out with it (as long as it was a legal rifle in NJ)?
    It is my understanding that this is the case, but some comments in the linked thread above made me think twice about it.

(Pike County)

Howdy Coops. Before I moved to Pa I lived in the PRNJ. I bought long guns in PA many times, no problem. Be sure that your DL and FID match in all respects, address, and any other info. Have as much gov issued pic ID with you as you have. If you have a non-pic NJ DL a dealer will most likely not sell to you.
    Be aware that some Pa dealers do not want to bother with NJ persons, and will refuse to sell to you. If you hit one, don't get upset, just find a dealer who wants your money.
    They will not sell you a gun that is not NJ legal, and may refuse some that are NJ legal, if they are not sure of it's status in NJ.
    Remember to watch your mags, some NJ legal guns come standard with what NJ calls hi caps, they are a nono. I had this once, and the dealer took a nice chunk off the price as he kept the mags and sold them seperately.