Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Barrels

(Northumberland County)

Default Barrels

I have a 1970 remington model 788 in 222 rem it was handed down to me by my granfather so i want to keep it in perfect shooting shape but i shot too hot of loads does anyone know where i can find a new barrel for it

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Barrels

Barrels can be had from just about any of the barrel makers.
    PacNor, Shilen, Douglas, to name a few. Parts supply houses such as Sarco, Numrich, Brownells.
    The 788 has not been made in years so a factory barrel is going to be tough to find. Try and determine if the barrel is really damaged or shot out. The 788 has rear locking lugs so if you have shot alot of questionable reloads get the action checked out.
    If you only have shot factory ammo you should be OK. I am going to assume you cleaned the barrel and found no rust inside.
    The .222 is not a high pressure cartridge. One of the most accurate of all factory rounds. Hope you do not need a clip. They are like hens teeth and priced accordingly.
    Good luck,
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Berks County)

Default Re: Barrels

I checked out Numrich for you ...no 222 barrels , did a cursory look on E-bay...several types listed and magazines, not sure on 222 though.

Are you sure it is shot out? Takes a lot of ammo, even hot ammo to really "shoot out" a barrel, or are you just looking for a spare?

Either way, E-bay, Gunbroker, are good places to check out, try Brownells and Midway also.

Hope this was helpful.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer