Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Gift from father inlaw

Im not sure if this is the right place, if it's not then the mods can move it. I wand to know if i could sell a pistol that was given to me by my father in law? does anyone have experience with this type of thing? any comments would be nice. thank you
    Last edited by Geronimo509; January 29th, 2009 at 09:25 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Gift from father inlaw

If you and you father-in-law didn't do a proper transfer, ......you should really mean that he gave it his daughter(your wife), and then she gave it to you.

Yes, you can sell it. All Pennsylvania transfers of handguns except between spouses, parent/child, grandparent/grandchild have to go through a FFL or sheriff. ...No ifs, ands or buts about it. If you sell it to anyone other than direct kin, do the transfer at a FFL.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

as sad as my story is it will work out for me. so Basically, my father in law gave the firearm to his daughter, my wife(his daughter) died in a car accident and I inherited the firearm. that is the truth, so i should be able to sell it through an ffl right? thats what I got out of your post, i was just making sure i understand it correctly

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo509 View Post
    as sad as my story is it will work out for me. so Basically, my father in law gave the firearm to his daughter, my wife(his daughter) died in a car accident and I inherited the firearm. that is the truth, so i should be able to sell it through an ffl right? thats what I got out of your post, i was just making sure i understand it correctly
    Sorry about your wife.

With how you explain above, yes - through a FFL.

Just find yourself a buyer and have them meet you at a dealer. You will fill out the seller's side of the PA State Police form, the buyer will fill out their appropriate portion. The buyer will then have an instant background check done on him/her. If all goes good you walk out with $$$, the buyer walks out with his/her new pistol.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

will at that work out at a gunshow??

(Jefferson County)

Yeah.

Take your guns that you want to sell, when you find a buyer - take the handgun to a FFL's table to do the transfer.

Long guns like rifles/shotguns can be cash & carry type deals - no paperwork.

Note though, a lot of FFL's are starting to avoid doing transfer of guns that they didn't sell at busy gun shows.

thank you knight