Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: CZ Hammer Coach

(York County)

Default CZ Hammer Coach

I do a lot of cowboy action shooting and I've always used an H&R single shot but lately I've been thinking about getting a coach gun to replace the H&R. I've looked at Stoeger, Remmington, and CZ and I really liked the CZ Hammer Coach. Does anyone else have one or heard anything about them? Are they worth the extra money over the Remmington model?

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=77

Thanks for the help!
    Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: CZ Hammer Coach

They are nice. They are made by Huglu and Akkar. KBI and Charles Daly used to import them prior to CZ buying rights to import them. I use mine for home defense, upland game/bird, and turkey shoots.

The only functional flaw I can find is that sometimes the external hammers are a bit too soft or a bit too brittle. The face of my hammers shows some peening from the firing pins. Which, even if one were to break and you couldn't get a replacement - external hammers are fairly easy to make out of bar-stock and easy to harden/temper on your own.

Keep in mind they aren't a Purdey, LC Smith, Holland & Holland, Ruger Red Label, or other high to fine grade shotgun. If you want a hammergun, especially a coach - they are leaps and bounds above the Remington(actually Russian) and Norinco imposters in both quality, functionality and looks for a few just a few bucks more.

I have the 24" hammer coach made by Aakar(same as Huglu) and imported through KBI/Daly. Chokes were advertised as IC/M, but they measure .732"(cylinder) and .695"(full or tighter). The current available models are 20" barrels.

Last edited by knight0334; February 4th, 2009 at 12:09 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: CZ Hammer Coach

I had to polish a couple of contact points to get it running good, but after that it is a nice shotgun. I have heard good and bad things about them but mine is exactly what I expected for the price.