Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Question A few AR questions.

Hey all, just picked up a Stag model 6 (5.56 w/24"BB). Is there any to know if I will maintain adequate pressure in the barrel if I were to cut it down to say 20"?
    Also I was wondering about this scenario- I chamber a round but the charging handle does not engage and lock into the receiver. I fire, would the bolt push the charging handle back and smack me in the face? Just curious, thanks.

Default Re: A few AR questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Spishack357 View Post
    Hey all, just picked up a Stag model 6 (5.56 w/24"BB). Is there any to know if I will maintain adequate pressure in the barrel if I were to cut it down to say 20"?
    It should, if not you just need someone qualified to open your gas port hole a bit.

[/quote]
    Also I was wondering about this scenario- I chamber a round but the charging handle does not engage and lock into the receiver. I fire, would the bolt push the charging handle back and smack me in the face? Just curious, thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you look at the charging handle in the upper it goes over the gas tube portion that is inside the upper itself. The bolt carrier is not connected to the handle. think of the carrier as "free floating"

If the CH somehow lodged in the upper or on the gas tube, I see no way you'd get fully into battery.

Why not just buy a 20" barrel instead of having it cut? You will end up having your AR15 in the shop probably for weeks to have it cut down to size. Just sell the 24" and buy a 20" and be done with it all.

Just curious why you went with a 24" over the standard 20" or 16"? The 24" would be awesome for bench, but IMO not very practical for any other type of shooting. Perhaps you went with the 24" because it was in stock. Doesn't seem that many complete AR15s are on the shelves these days.

(Chester County)

I went with the 24" because it had a 2 stage match trigger on it, it was in stock and the price wasn't too inflated. Ideally I would get another upper with a shorter barrel but prices are too high right now. I'll look into another barrel, I guess I would need a new gas tube and a new gas block, anything else?

I went with the 24" because it had a 2 stage match trigger on it, it was in stock and the price wasn't too inflated. Ideally I would get another upper with a shorter barrel but prices are too high right now. I'll look into another barrel, I guess I would need a new gas tube and a new gas block, anything else?
    If the handguards are rifle length that should be about it, changing out a barrel isnt hard, might as well get the tools to do it yourself.

Then a new upper receiver down the line is only 100 bucks, toss in about 40 or so for the standard float tubes...good to go.

(Chester County)

Thumbs up Re: A few AR questions.

Good points, I may just bite the bullet and assemble a new upper. I imagine I should get a new bolt for the new barrel as far as dissimilar wear goes. KAOS I saw awhile ago you had an upper for sale, any chance you still have it?

Good points, I may just bite the bullet and assemble a new upper. I imagine I should get a new bolt for the new barrel as far as dissimilar wear goes. KAOS I saw awhile ago you had an upper for sale, any chance you still have it?
    Sorry man, bender bought that.

I'd start buying parts at least for another upper (just try to nab a part you need every other week or so).

(Chester County)

Yea thats what I've been doing for the past month, buying parts prone to fail or wear out. I hate the feeling of being rushed but I would rather have my parts now then have waited and have bo take my rights away. Damn democrats!

Yea thats what I've been doing for the past month, buying parts prone to fail or wear out. I hate the feeling of being rushed but I would rather have my parts now then have waited and have bo take my rights away. Damn democrats!
    watch the ar15.com equipment exchange for parts, keep an eye out at bravo co and g and r tactical/midway lots of good vendors to check with around the net.

Mags might end up being a form of currency in parts trade soon