Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Restoring a boat?

Has anyone on here ever restored a boat?

I just bought a boat and trailer today.

Its a 16 ft mid 70's Larson 1600 Shark Special Edition tri hull with an 85 hp motor(i believe its an evinrude)

the boat floats, and motor runs(sort of)

Well im planning on it being my summer project, it needs a good bit of work.....is usable right now but pretty ugly. Im planning on a complete restoration, rebuild the motor, new paint, carpet, new upholstery, or complete redo of the interior.

Ill get pics and update soon, and will probably post my progress step by step starting in about 2 months.

So ive never owned a boat before, and am wondering if anyone else has restored a boat...if so where did you buy your materials/parts/supplies? Anyone know of any good boating stores or suppliers in the Pittsburgh region?

Any info/suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Restoring a boat?

A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Has anyone on here ever restored a boat?

I just bought a boat and trailer today.

Its a 16 ft mid 70's Larson 1600 Shark Special Edition tri hull with an 85 hp motor(i believe its an evinrude)

the boat floats, and motor runs(sort of)

Well im planning on it being my summer project, it needs a good bit of work.....is usable right now but pretty ugly. Im planning on a complete restoration, rebuild the motor, new paint, carpet, new upholstery, or complete redo of the interior.

Ill get pics and update soon, and will probably post my progress step by step starting in about 2 months.

So ive never owned a boat before, and am wondering if anyone else has restored a boat...if so where did you buy your materials/parts/supplies? Anyone know of any good boating stores or suppliers in the Pittsburgh region?

Any info/suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

My previous boss did the same thing. Got himself a nice boat for a summer project.

Five years later, its nowhere even close to being done.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

I can't help you much, we stick with canoes and kayaks.

As far as the hull goes I'm sure you can just power wash it and paint it providing there are no leaks. Rip up the carpet, clean, and replace.

For the motor, just tear it apart, clean it, and put it back together. Throw in new plugs for good measure, and maybe rebuild the carb.

I wouldn't try to make it perfect, that's a waste of time. Just get it running great and looking okay. And I mean just "okay". Enough that people only cringe half the time when you go motoring past.

Good luck!

Brian

(Allegheny County)

the hull is actually the one part of the boat im not worried about.....its in excellent shape.

as far as not finishing it goes....the motivation to have it out on the river and lake are far to high for me to not finish it quickly.

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: Restoring a boat?

I don't know about your area but there is boatus a catalog boating supply store outa anapolis I think. They have about an inch thick catalog. As for the resto good luck let me echo the hole in the water comment. I sank mine.

(Delaware County)

www.overtons.com is a start as well as www.westmarine.com when I had a boat,that's where I started. Good luck.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Butler County)

Go on ebay and get a manual for the motor. Definitely rebuild the carb if the motor has sat for a while. Get rid of all the gas in it. Probably replace the fuel hoses unless they are new. The majority of boat problems are fuel problems. After that would be wiring. Make sure it's up to snuff, undamaged wires, clean, unrusted connections. If you have a good fuel and electrical system you're most of the way there assuming there is no huge structural flaw.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    www.overtons.com is a start as well as www.westmarine.com when I had a boat,that's where I started. Good luck.
    thanks for the sites....looks like good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by RufusG View Post
    Go on ebay and get a manual for the motor. Definitely rebuild the carb if the motor has sat for a while. Get rid of all the gas in it. Probably replace the fuel hoses unless they are new. The majority of boat problems are fuel problems. After that would be wiring. Make sure it's up to snuff, undamaged wires, clean, unrusted connections. If you have a good fuel and electrical system you're most of the way there assuming there is no huge structural flaw.
    never even thought of getting the manual on ebay. good plan.