Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Delicious recipe thread

HickoryFarms.com recently had 75% off of many things. I stocked up on a few gift boxes. There was a delicious bacon smoked cheddar cheese in a bunch of the boxes, and I used it to create a delicious recipe, as seen below!

Potatoes Au Gratin with Bacon smoked cheddar cheese.

2-3 Red Potatoes sliced very thinly (1/8")
    3 Tablespoons butter
    2 Tablespoons flour
    2 cups heavy cream or milk
    1 small onion (I use yellow)
    Approx 1/3 stick of Hickory Farms bacon smoked cheddar cheese
    Parsley Flakes
    Dill Weed
    Salt & Pepper

Slice 2-3 large red potatoes very thinly. I used a mandoline set to 1/8", which made quick work of it. You do not have to peel the potatoes. You may substitute other types of potatoes as well, but they may need to be peeled depending on type.

In a pan over medium-high heat, melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter. Finely dice one small onion. Once the butter is liquid, add the onions and saute until transparent or very slightly browned. Add a little more butter if needed to have some liquid in the pan. Then slowly whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour. You are creating a roux, the foundation of a basic white sauce. This will act to thicken your next ingredients. Keep this moving, and let cook for a minute or two. Then slowly start to add 1-2 cups of heavy cream (milk also works) that you've let get up to room temperature a 1/2 cup or so at a time. It may be a little lumpy at first, just keep adding liquid and it should smooth out. You may also add a small amount (1/4 cup at most) of chicken broth at this point if you'd like to thin it out a bit without more dairy. Once you have a nice thick liquid mixture, take your pan off of the heat and add approx 1 cup of grated smoked cheddar cheese, stirring until blended. You may also add other types of cheese now if desired. I used a shredded provolone, parmesan, asiago, mozzarella mix that I used previous on a pizza.

Now take a casserole dish and butter or spray with a cooking spray like PAM. lay down one layer of your thinly sliced potatoes. Add salt, pepper, a very small amount of dill weed, and some parsley flakes. The parsley and dill are optional, but add a nice layer. Then dollop a small amount of sauce over the potatoes. You will make 4-6 layers, depending on the thickness of your potatoes. Add the salt, pepper, dill weed, parsley flakes and sauce in between each layer. I usually leave out the sauce on the top layer (feel free to add if you have some remaining), and add more grated cheese on top. This gives you a nice crunchy delicious top.

Put tin foil over the top of the dish and add to a 425 degree over. Let cook for about 35 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for 10 more minutes.

You should get a side dish like this:

Default Re: Delicious recipe thread

Does look good, I can post some of my own recipes once Im off work...asian style noodles and Kaos Soup (chicken noodle soup).

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Delicious recipe thread

Here's one of my favorites

Chocolate Chip-Walnut Scones

Ingredients:
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 cup good semi sweet or milk chocolate chips
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts (Optional)

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

In a large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
    Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and distribute them evenly over the flour mixture.
    With a pastry blender or two knives cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
    In a small bowl stir together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
    Stir in the chocolate chips and hazelnuts. The dough will be sticky.
    Using a large serving spoon, make 8-10 scones and place on the baking sheet

Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean.
    Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Using a spatula transfer the scones to the wire rack to cool.
    Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Tips and tricks:
    1. Use the whole 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips (I've been informed by my wife and daughter's you can never have enough chocolate chips).

2. Substitute the chocolate chips with white chocolate chips or butterscotch.

3. Substitute the chocolate chips with dried fruits.

4. The nuts are optional, either use none or a different type, toasted hazel nuts work well.

5. I like making them individually, but, you could make one big 9 inch circle and cut them into wedges. This is more traditional.

6. If you don't have buttermilk, I've used regular milk with good results