Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default FN's FNP handguns, wow!

http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firea...002&gid=FNG001

I've been hearing some very positive comments about this gun, especially as of late, but it still seems like not a lot of people know about it.

I went to Gander Mountain yesterday to check out a Browning Pro-40 (the same thing as the FNP-40, only with Browning's name on it as manufactured by FN USA) to see if I liked the way it felt in my hand before ordering an FN. I've handled S&W M&P's lately because really wanted a lighter polymer handgun for the summer (I normally carry a full size, all steel semi-custom Springfield 1911), but I didn't like the trigger on the M&P and the grip felt funny to me (I tried all three grip inserts). I had high hopes for the FN because it would be a done deal so long as it felt good in my hand.

It comes in DA/SA, DAO or SAO (ala 1911, bingo, we have a winner!!) and currently in 9mm or .40. Finishes include either stainless steel or stainless with a black tool finish over top and can be had with standard or night sights. It comes from FN with 3 mags (16roudners for 9mm), a lifetime warranty and two interchangeable backstraps (a curved backstrap as shown above and a straight one ala 1911).

The gun pointed extremely well and naturally. The controls were done pretty well too (though I might have preferred a more prominent safety level on the DA/SA I handled) and the fit an finish were nice, but most importantly, the gun felt as good as any polymer gun has ever felt in my hand. To me, nothing has ever felt as good as a Walther P99 (polymer) or a 1911 or IMI Baby Eagle/CZ/other Tangfolio framed gun (steel/Alloy), but the FN felt as good as any of those. I've owned or shot and carried an XD, a Sig, Walther P99 AS, Glocks, Steyr M series guns, HK USP full size and compacts, various 1911 models, a Baby Eagle and some other assorted guns and the FN's initial impression was as good as or better than any of those.

But the best part was the trigger. The absolute best trigger (especially in SA mode) that I have ever felt on a stock polymer gun. Nice and short, distinctive and crisp. Not quite a tuned 1911, but damn near close enough in a polymer gun. IT was much better than my USP's, XD, Glock and anything else in that vein, slightly better than a well-worn P99 and almost as good as a 1911, a CZ/Baby Eagle or a nice Sig trigger.

I went to Sporting Goods Discounters in Johnstown and asked them to track one down for me; a stainless SAO 9mm with nights sights and 16rd mags. Once I get it, I'll update it with a range report.

If any of you have the chance, check one of these out (Browning Pro or FN FNP -Browning discontinued selling theirs but I've seen them around...the Brownings are more expensive for the same gun and one less mag though).

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: FN's FNP handguns, wow!

What's the ballpark cost?

(Cambria County)

I'll know as soon as SGD calls me with a price. I've seen some people get them for under $400, but $400 - $450 is likely the going rate at a gunshop. The Brownings 've seen have all been over $500. Gander Mountain is kinda high with their prices, and their Browning has been sitting since last year at near $589.00 I think.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=69526151
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=69714141
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/17127

I haven't seen many of the night sights models, they're higher no doubt.

(Perry County)

Hey NineseveN: I have one. I've got the FNP-9M (compact model) and I love it. I have the DA/SA model and really enjoyed shooting it the one time I had it out to the range. I got mine from Sniper Country PX in Pottstown (had it shipped to a local FFL) and the price was $439 plus tax and shipping. The only trouble I'm having is finding holster manufacturers who make holsters for it. I currently have a High Noon Skin Tite which is a pancake belt holster. It's ok for now, but I want something better. I collapses after the draw and requires two hand reholstering. I say go for it. It's a great gun. I showed mine to my friend the other night and he really liked it and said the same thing about the sight picture...very natural.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Cambria County)

Brigagde Gunleather makes some nice holsters for the FNP, so does Blade-tech I believe. The problem with holsters is that no one makes a dummy gun for the FNP.

I was actually thinking of trying to get a group buy together with some of the folks from the Fiveseven forums who own FNP's so that we could help a leathermaker justify buying the real gun to model with. The dummies cost like $50, the gun is almost ten times that. I was thinking that if they knew they wouldn't take a loss on buying the gun due to lack of demand, someone might do it.

I'm going to call Andrews Leather this week and see what he can do for me, his holsters are awesome.

Right now I'm just waiting on a price from my dealer. If they can't find an SAO, I'll have to go with DA/SA, the gun and trigger just felt too damn good to pass on.

(Cambria County)

Also, Andy Artoonian at Horseshoe Leather makes holsters for the FNP as well....www.holsters.org.

(Perry County)

Thanks for the names, NineseveN. I'll check them out. Let me know if Andrews makes them too and I'll check them out.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Montgomery County)

Great Gun.
    Tanner's is selling them cheap, and I've been tempted on more than one occasion.
    ~Wales

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wales View Post
    Great Gun.
    Tanner's is selling them cheap, and I've been tempted on more than one occasion.
    ~Wales
    What's stopping you?

Try Tanners, I saw they have FN FNP-9 a few week back for $375 before tax. The gun kinda "wide". I already own a "fat" gun so I don't need another. But for the price, it can't be beat.

1FingrCHan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast