Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: 4:25 AM Police Visit?

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post
    Welcome to the forum bamboomaster,
    First off I have cameras installed with a 360 view of the house as well as at the front and back door. I can view any one or all the cameras from any of the computers in the house as well as over the internet when I'm away from home. The reason I had set up such a system is because of the police state we are becoming and the BG's that are out there. Anyone coming to my house a 0430 better have a damn good reason or a warrant.

You need to at least camera front and rear doors that can be viewed from a safe area of the house. That way if someone comes at 0dark30 you check the cameras first before you answer any door. Wireless cameras are cheap and well worth the investment and you can view them with a laptop from anywhere in the house.

Ed
    The cameras are also good for watching the festivities after you pop and drop three CS cans out the window at 0dark30, onto the lawn..... Sounds like the cops were watching too much C.O.P.S.....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Never open your door at 4:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmdgeon View Post
    #1... Welcome to PAFOA!
    Quote Originally Posted by granuale View Post
    I'm glad you, your dog, and your girlfriend are safe.

sums up thread nicely

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    sums up thread nicely
    Good God Pa Patriot, your getting lazy in your old age...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lackawanna County)

Welcome to the forum. Me, personally, I don't stop pointing a gun at the visitor through the door until I trust who they are. I don't blame you for letting them in, I might have myself given the weather, once things had calmed down. That being said, letting an LEO into your home rarely helps your case out. Try to avoid moving suspiciously and letting them see a gun. All that being said, I hope you get some better rest and enjoy the forum.

(Philadelphia County)

Welcome and I am very glad everything turned out to the effect that you and everyone involved is not hurt. I learned a lot from your posting via the replies. The one thing no one seems to have mentioned is the fact that the police saw you holding the gun while you were inside your house. I would've kept it hidden from view, behind my back or in my pocket. I always do this when checking my door.

GL et al.
    I'd think if there were 2 people in the house, I'd have the other person call 911 so I can keep my eyes on the people outside of the house, or is that too much? Also, what should I say to the 911 dispatcher? Are they connected to the police dispatcher and can verify current police activities in the area?

Regards,
    Al

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Good God Pa Patriot, your getting lazy in your old age...
    I prefer the term "efficient"

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I prefer the term "efficient"
    I am sure you do

Does Mrs Pa Patriot do this?

Or is this what you do?
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Venango County)

Lighting is a very important tactical situation that most don't consider.

As the Army always called it, noise and light discipline.

Darkness is used by the BG but it can be your friend, too; if you understand how it works for or against you.

Unless your house is cluttered, I would leave all lights off. You know your home's layout, chances are the people outside do not.

At furtherst possible point, but most switches are by the door, by all means, turn on the outside light. Do so quietly. Listen to their reactions.

If you do this:

1) They probably are not aware of your approach as they could not hear nor see your shadow approach.
    2) They get no visual clues on the layout inside, nor what you may be holding or doing.
    3) With the light on outside, but none inside, they are staring in to a black hole.

At night, an inside light vibrantly shows the world your room unless you draw curtains, course.

But with dim or no lights inside and a bright light facing out, it is a dark nothingness through the window.

Nighttime camouflage if you will.

Of course, if they ask what is in your hand, they might have night vision, so don't lie!
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Somerset County)

Rough story. Next time ask for some ID but great job not getting to fired up. I have a temper and I know at 4:30am I would have been pissed.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by granuale View Post
    Good luck getting the info on who called the po-po in the first place.
    I want to take this opportunity to personally thank everyone for their remarks and provide you with "the rest of the story."

I visited with the Chief of Police of Tredyffrin Township this morning about what occurred on Sunday and was just incredibly and pleasantly surprised when he basically said "I swore an oath when I took this office to protect your right of gun ownership and to answer your door with a gun. I have no problem whatsoever with gun ownership but you have to understand that the group that showed up is a great group of people that work well together and until the officers at the scene sort things out, if they see a gun, they're going to react defensively as they did in your case."

We both agreed that things went smoothly and nothing escalated because cool heads prevailed on both sides.

I did ask about who filed the complaint because it was totally fictitious since we had been sleeping and I was concerned that this could happen again tonight, later this week, next week, etc.

Thankfully, the chief also apparently thinks that sunshine really cures alot ills.

He immediately shared the name, that she stated that there was a loud banging sound, yelling and screaming and said it was in my unit which was adjacent to hers. The remarkable thing is that she apparently stated this has been occurring since November, 2008!

"Well, chief, only in her head, because except for occasionally playing the bagpipes when neither neighbor is around, I'm as quiet as a church mouse."

That's when I also found out the chief is a piper too. I can't begin to tell you how awesome that makes him from my point of view - and I've been piping for 20 years.

He did say they'll pay closer attention to her if it happens again which I found comforting. And if they find out she's got a "problem" that affects me, they'll let me know. I'm sure he was kidding when he said that if she ever complained about any piping, nobody would show up.

I really couldn't ask for a better outcome.

I'm very grateful for all the sound advice and support from the the PAFOA membership. Because of all of you, I'm gonna stick around.

Kindest regards,

Bamboomaster

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast