Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default ACOG vs Red Dot?

I know I'm getting the flat top. To begin with I'm just picking up a back up iron sight to throw on it. Just to gain marksmanship with the rifle before I mess with optics, incase they ever go down in a time of need.

Also, I probably cant afford an optics system the day I buy my AR.

That being said, Is the Red Dot or ACOG system better?

I imagine the Red Dot is better for faster target acquisition but it doesnt seem helpful at ranges further than you would be accurate with if using only the iron sights.

This is where the ACOG steps in, with 3x or 4x magnification I guess.

How much of a problem would this be if having to use at close ranges, say 50ft and closer? I dont want to look through the sights and be tunnel visioned.

Now how effective would these be looking out at a greater distance such as around 200-400 yards?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: ACOG vs Red Dot?

This is kinda like a ford vs chevy debate. Everyone will have an opinion.

Here is mine:

I prefer the red dot---i own aimpoints and eotechs. I prefer the eotech. I know the battery life is better on the aimpoints---the controls are somewhat easier with them too. Although,the newer eotechs have the controls on the side but in reality, you could keep the aimpoints dot on all the time and never worry about battery life---they last for a long time---even on. The reason i like the eotech is because of the circle and dot. For whatever reasons the circle helps my eyes "find" the target.

I prefer the non magnified dots over the ACOG because i never shoot past 200yds with my AR's. I find that site acquisition with the non magnified dot is much quicker than with magnification. It is how my eyes work best.

On my sons AR, we put on a millet dms 1. It is a 1-4 power scope and for the life of me, even on 1x it is more difficult for me to get on target. I guess if i practiced more with it i'd get better at it. But, the non magnified optic is quick and i don't need to think about it to get on target.

So, for me, the non magnified dots work for all my needs. Like i said, i only shoot out to 200yds and most times i practice 100yds and closer. I shoot for fun,as i'm sure most everyone else does, but in a real shtf situation, you won't be engaging bad guys at distances beyond a dot scope.

(Westmoreland County)

Red Dot reflex sights are faster than the lower power (1.5x) ACOGs. They are much faster than the ACOG 3x and 4x variants. The ACOG optical quality is nothing short of magnificent and rivals the best european glass.

1. Red Dots are best at typical combat distances.

2. The 1.5x ACOG is OK at typical combat distances and better than a Red Dot beyond 100 yds.

3. The 3x and 4x ACOGs are better suited for distance and were adopted by the military for the designated marksman. In that role (precision shooting) they work very well but they are very difficult to use at close range.

The 1.5x ACOG is a good compromise but it costs more than twice what an aimpoint costs.

(Luzerne County)

I use them both. My ACOG (4X) is one of the clearest, brightest scopes I have ever had the pleasure to look through. I like the Eotech and the Aimpoint but the ACOG is something special.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Red Dot reflex sights are faster than the lower power (1.5x) ACOGs. They are much faster than the ACOG 3x and 4x variants. The ACOG optical quality is nothing short of magnificent and rivals the best european glass.

1. Red Dots are best at typical combat distances.

2. The 1.5x ACOG is OK at typical combat distances and better than a Red Dot beyond 100 yds.

3. The 3x and 4x ACOGs are better suited for distance and were adopted by the military for the designated marksman. In that role (precision shooting) they work very well but they are very difficult to use at close range.

The 1.5x ACOG is a good compromise but it costs more than twice what an aimpoint costs.
    i'll definitely go +1 on this.

I have an ACOG TA01NSN currently on my FS2000 rifle, and will probably swap to an Aimpoint Comp M/ML 3 in the future.

I keep a Comp M2 on teh M68 mount on top of the m4 upper on my M16, and actually use a C-more ARW on another AR15...

Also, I use an Aimpoint Comp ML2 on a shorty FAL carbine.

i have a Trijicon reflex II on a 8" 9mm upper (12.5moa triangle), and a Meprolight MEPRO 21 on my 11.5" AR SBR ...the meprolight is fiber optic and tritium, with a 5moa dot...and probably the BRIGHTEST reflex type sighti have ever seen...in daylight, its RUDE bright, at night, the tritium is perfect.

the higher the magnification the more difficult it is to quickly get on target, at any range, and trying to find the little crosshairs on the ACOG can be tricky on darker targets closer up, not to mention your FOV is tiny at close range.

also, i myself prefer a smaller dot size if possible, the larger dot types, 5MOA or bigger, are difficult to get a pinpoint sight in....remember, the bullets gonna be SOMEWHERE in a 5" circle at 100 yards.

i like the idea of the Eotechs, but overall, i find they are wayyy too bulky in height for anything but an AR, and frankly, they LOOK god awful...its like parking a baby shoe on top of the gun...but they DO work well.
    Last edited by JayBell; January 24th, 2009 at 07:15 PM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    I keep a Comp M2 on teh M68 mount on top of the m4 upper on my M16
    Same rifle same scope. I like red dot for MG, follow the bouncing ball. I prefer irons for semi-auto. Then again, I don't do as much CQB training/competition as some of the guys around here. But irons still seem better for me shooting close and fast.

I don't know if I can keep my Aimpoint on all the time - except in NVG mode. It dies when I leave it on at a visible setting. But mine is about 6 years old.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I know I'm getting the flat top. To begin with I'm just picking up a back up iron sight to throw on it. Just to gain marksmanship with the rifle before I mess with optics, incase they ever go down in a time of need.
    Then get some good ones. Most back up iron sights are just that - and not for serious marksmanship.

As for going down in a time of need, make sure it goes up in a time of need. I wouldn't want a red dot on a firearm I plan to grab when I wake up, for instance, because I don't want to have to fiddle with it before I shoot.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Then get some good ones. Most back up iron sights are just that - and not for serious marksmanship.

As for going down in a time of need, make sure it goes up in a time of need. I wouldn't want a red dot on a firearm I plan to grab when I wake up, for instance, because I don't want to have to fiddle with it before I shoot.
    Have an example of these?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Have an example of these?
    The ones I have I have two uppers with BUIS on them. One set is marked T.M.S. and I actually can't find the other upper right now :P The set on the other are not the same. Neither is remotely as accurate as A1 or A2 sights, with or without removable carry handle style, all of which I have.

(York County)

I'll be sticking an Aimpoint on my LMT 10.5 SBR soon enough. The ACOG is awesome, but the wrong application for my shorty. I'm considering an ACOG on my 6920 though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast