Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default suppressor owners questions

i have some questions for owners of suppressors in philadelphia. which route did you take in obtaining them? trust? corp? or different signature?
    also please recommend a suppressor for .45 acp, i was looking at the yhm maxim 1911 and it looks to be in my price range as well. when "wetting" a suppressor do you just dunk it into and glass of water and shake it out? what kind of maintenance do suppressors require?
    besides the tax and cost of suppressor how much did it cost in lawyer fees and such?
    is it like firearms where the msrp is one number but they sell for way less and do dealers also charge a fee for the sale?
    i think that's it for now, thanks!

p.s. if anyone in philly likes to share i would love to try one out in any caliber i shoot at SPAG.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: suppressor owners questions

I don't think you're going to get anyone in phila. to sign your form 4. So, that leaves a corp or trust. Cost to have someone set them up varies.

I can't suggest a .45 can because i don't have one. However, everything i have read leads me to believe that .45 doesn't suppress as well as 9mm and .22. For anyone starting out with a suppressor, i'd always suggest a .22 or 9mm can first. When you get into .45 and rifle calibers, you might get disappointed in the suppression level. Most .22 cans literally sound like a pellet gun.

You pretty much have "wetting" down. You could even use a spray bottle and spray it into the can---than shake out the excess.

Suppressors don't really require any maintenance. On .22 cans, the lead can build up in the baffles so a take apart .22 can is best---but for other calibers, they use plated bullets and cleaning is not really needed. I think of suppressors as mufflers on my car. I don't maintain the car muffler either.

Most dealers have a min advertised price. Most will sell below msrp but not all. It's best to find a dealer you like and that knows what they are doing / selling. If you buy from them they typically don't charge other fees. If you have them transfer a suppressor from another dealer, they will typically charge between 50-100 to do the transfer.