Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Making the plunge - building first AR.

I've decided to take the plunge and build my first AR. I'm starting out with a lower receiver from Anvil Arms - specifically, this one.
    http://www.anvilarms.com/pc-38-19-lo...ion-stock.aspx
    Is this a good starting point, and what else will I need to look into to build the rifle? I'll probably be doing this over the course of 2-3 paychecks, so it will be a slow but steady process.

Also, is there a guide on here that explains, point by point, what is required to build a basically functional AR? I've seen parts lists in a few posts, but being on a budget, I really want to start with what is absolutely required. Filtering through some of the (clearly awesome) parts lists that I've found becomes a repetitive exercise of "what does that do?" Is there a guide out here for the first time builder?
    KnightZero - Zombie Killing Mercenary Watchman for hire. Will work for food.

http://kn1ght-z3r0.livejournal.com/tag/firearms - My firearms, and my ramblings on the Open Carry Movement.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Making the plunge - building first AR.

the one you linked to comes complete with buttstock and lower parts kit installed.

if thats the case just buy a complete upper and slap em together.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    the one you linked to comes complete with buttstock and lower parts kit installed.

if thats the case just buy a complete upper and slap em together.
    Any recommendations on where to find a complete upper? Anything I should look out for, compatibility-wise?? I like the idea of slapping things together.....works with my philosophy of building stuff.
    KnightZero - Zombie Killing Mercenary Watchman for hire. Will work for food.

http://kn1ght-z3r0.livejournal.com/tag/firearms - My firearms, and my ramblings on the Open Carry Movement.

(Chester County)

If you buy a complete upper, you're not really building a gun, you're just reverse field stripping one. But ok.

Just pick one that matches your intended usage.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightZero View Post
    Any recommendations on where to find a complete upper? Anything I should look out for, compatibility-wise?? I like the idea of slapping things together.....works with my philosophy of building stuff.
    The two most important characteristics of an AR are the barrel and the trigger. You need a really good barrel to get the best accuracy, and a really good two-stage trigger to allow the rifle to do that of which it is capable.

We (Fulton ARmory) find the Criterion by Krieger barrels, even in chrome-lined 16" form, generally reward the owner with sub-half-minute groups (assuming a handguard float tube, of course ).

So, keep those factors in mind as you do your shopping.

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

(Lancaster County)

building is more fun than just buying a ebr i can be done cheaper and with the goodies you want. have fun and post pics!!!!
    V-DUB Shop!DUBNINJA 82

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    building is more fun than just buying a ebr i can be done cheaper and with the goodies you want. have fun and post pics!!!!
    One day a while back I was frustrated about something that in hindsight wasn't so important that I can remember what it was today. So I went down to my shop and assembled an upper receiver assembly. I then added a few upgrades to a lower I had lying around, and here was the result:

Very, very relaxing. I recommend this particular therapy for whatever ails you!

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

(Beaver County)

The problem you're likely to have, right now, is finding the parts you want in a reasonable amount of time.

Brownells has some excellent assembly videos that show exactly what you'll have to do to assemble every part of an AR. AR15.com has some great tutorials, with parts lists and step-by-step assembly instructions.

If you can find what you need, you should be able to assemble a working rifle in about an hour, or even less. It might take you six months to get all the parts, but it goes together, easily.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck View Post
    One day a while back I was frustrated about something that in hindsight wasn't so important that I can remember what it was today. So I went down to my shop and assembled an upper receiver assembly. I then added a few upgrades to a lower I had lying around, and here was the result:

Very, very relaxing. I recommend this particular therapy for whatever ails you!

Regards,

Walt
    I don't have a shop to build in or spare parts laying around but I'll be right over to use your shop and parts. Thanks.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    The problem you're likely to have, right now, is finding the parts you want in a reasonable amount of time.
    +1 that's the key. Right now parts are very hard to find ... at a decent price. You can find them but you can't be picky and expect to get it quickly or cheaply.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast