Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Beaver County)

Default Bushmaster C-15 Carbon Fiber AR?

Whats the good, the bad and the ugly on the BushMaster C-15 Carbon Fiber rifle? I know of a brand new one for sale along with a brand new Stag .308 AR-15 rifle. The Stag is $890, I have not yet asked about the Bushmaster.....I always considered BushMaster to be kind of bottom-barrel......

Whats the good about this Carbon Fiber rifle?

Whats the Bad about the Carbon Fiber rifle?

Larry

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Bushmaster C-15 Carbon Fiber AR?

I can only assume the best selling point for the CF is weight, but i have no real info.

just wanted to say that if you dont want the CF Bushy let me knoe how much and where. My wife wants an AR this year and it needs to be light, I would keep the CF lower for the build.

(Beaver County)

The upper and lower are carbone fiber if I understand him correctly.

I always considered BushMaster to be kind of bottom-barrel......>>Dam I bet the Military wish's they would have talked to you before purchasing so many 10's of thousands.,,lol

(Chester County)

Well, it's not really carbon fiber, it's more like zytel plastic.

I can't think of any reason for wanting one of these.

Uppers and lowers are Aluminum, they're not that heavy in the first place.

You can build a lightweight carbine with real parts, no need to buy cheap Bushy plastic parts.

14.5" LW barrel with a pinned and welded YHM phantom, std carbine stock, std handguards, flip up sights....it'd be plenty light.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I can only assume the best selling point for the CF is weight, but i have no real info.

just wanted to say that if you dont want the CF Bushy let me knoe how much and where. My wife wants an AR this year and it needs to be light, I would keep the CF lower for the build.
    Verify LOP. They are very LW but the stock, at least the OEM variant, was way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Uppers and lowers are Aluminum, they're not that heavy in the first place.

You can build a lightweight carbine with real parts, no need to buy cheap Bushy plastic parts.

14.5" LW barrel with a pinned and welded YHM phantom, std carbine stock, std handguards, flip up sights....it'd be plenty light.
    I would heed this advice for a LW carbine.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnies111 View Post
    I always considered BushMaster to be kind of bottom-barrel......>>Dam I bet the Military wish's they would have talked to you before purchasing so many 10's of thousands.,,lol
    Would those tens of thousands of Bushmasters you refer to be the 4,000 purchased on one occasion because Colt's TDP was improperly released to them? I wouldn't consider Bushmaster to be the BOTTOM of the barrel, but there are certainly a plethora of other manufacturers I would recommend long before I'd recommend a Bushmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    I ask you for a link and you give me the Colt Kool-Aid Channel? Yeah, I feel better, I needed a good laugh. Thanks for giving it to me. By the way, is he still using Vagisil over there? Bill T.
    Hmmmm, a forum populated by Industry SME's and professional faceshooters. They prefer Colt to Bushmaster? Nah, they can't possibly have a clue.

ETA: if you are interested in lightweight you might also want to take a look at CavArms lowers as well.
    Last edited by Legion_Prime; January 25th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Westmoreland County)

I have a Professional Ordnanace Carbon 15 - Type 97

It is a second generation gun. It has been extremely reliable. The only issue I had was a blown gas tube after about 2500 rounds. I have done some upgrades to the gun over the years, JP Trigger group, different comp, safety, magwell, etc.

I have used it mainly for short range matches, the lightweight makes it great for doing fast transitions. It is accurate and reliable. Bushmaster has made too many changes to list from the original Professional Ordnance guns.

I love the gun, but it is not my primary match gun anymore. I have gone to an 18" gun for longer range stuff.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Beaver County)

Thank you guys. It seems that the owner will not budge from $700, and I dont want to spend $700 on a gun that needs work and is of questionable integrity when I can grab a new one for $1000 and know what I have. I would have bit for $500 and rolled the dice....and most likely won the roll. $700 decreases the odds a bit much for me...Unless he calls back willing to lower his price, I'm out.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    Thank you guys. It seems that the owner will not budge from $700, and I dont want to spend $700 on a gun that needs work and is of questionable integrity when I can grab a new one for $1000 and know what I have. I would have bit for $500 and rolled the dice....and most likely won the roll. $700 decreases the odds a bit much for me...Unless he calls back willing to lower his price, I'm out.
    Depending on what model it is, $700 may be a steal. Mine was well over $1000 retail back in 2002.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast