Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Traffic Stop RT 80 1.8 miles from 115

As the title states I was stopped for speeding.

For a LEO report I can not say enough again (I guess this happens too much) how well the Trooper responded.

To summarize:

After driving 14 hours straight through seven states I was tired and just wanted to get home and rest (I know, not an excuse but part of the story). I got to the location above and came over the hill and saw the Trooper parked in the middle, I looked down at the speedo and saw 85 and told the wife I'm going to get a ticket.

As I went passed the Officer pulled out and turned on his lights and I pulled over before he even got behind me.

Morning Trooper

License Registration, and insurance.

(I handed him all and LTCF he looked at them all)

I stopped you for going 80 in a 65

Yes sir

65 is the speed limit

Yes sir

I'll be right back

He could have cared less I was carrying and asked no questions as to where it was or what other weapons were in the car (the AR had to go with me to FL)

Cudios to him. Great attitude and I guess as pleasant of a stop as it could be.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Traffic Stop RT 80 1.8 miles from 115

Why did you feel the need to show him your LTCF permit? Why didn't you just verbalize that you were carrying, if you felt the need to notify him.

There is no requirement in PA to notify.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post
    (1)Why did you feel the need to show him your LTCF permit? (2)Why didn't you just verbalize that you were carrying, if you felt the need to notify him.

(3)There is no requirement in PA to notify.
    (1) Courtesy and Respect. Treat people how you would like to be treated. If I was in his shoes I would like to know. I also would have handled it the same way.

(2) Seemed better then I have a gun. Or a long drawn out I have a LTCF and my weapon on me which I could be wrong but would most likely ended up in questions.

(3) See 1, I know.

Edited to add:

I have been pulled over three times while carrying and NEVER had a bad experience. If I ever do I will probable change my mind on notifying, but as of now I see no reason not to.
    Last edited by Fraggle09027; February 15th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle09027 View Post
    (1) Courtesy and Respect. Treat people how you would like to be treated. If I was in his shoes I would like to know. I also would have handled it the same way.

(2) Seemed better then I have a gun. Or a long drawn out I have a LTCF and my weapon on me which I could be wrong but would most likely ended up in questions.

(3) See 1, I know.
    A BIG +1 on #1. I do the exact same thing whenever I'm interacting with LE and am asked to present ID while I'm carrying.

Just makes life easier, and I've yet to be hassled by any LEOs for carrying.

-38SnubFan

(Allegheny County)

I see debates for showing ID when you don't have to flare up all the time so this post is a little preemption of my own . I'm of a mind that if you have no obligation to show your ID, and you don't, that's fine. If you decide that due to respect or other concern, you show your ID, that's fine too. I don't like people criticizing others for one or the other. Great post!!! and Happy carrying!!
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Lackawanna County)

Did you get a ticket?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CZ40P View Post
    Did you get a ticket?
    Yes I did.

(Montgomery County)

glad it turned out professional...i never notify anymore since i ended up on the wrong end of a Glock 22 being shakily pointed at my head by a terrified Whitpain Twp cop some years ago, for simply handing him my permit along with my DL.

here's how it goes with me if i get stopped:

Cop:"Lic, reg and insurance please"
    me: (comply)
    Cop: "Do you have any drugs, firearms or alcohol in the vehicle?"
    me: "I have nothing illegal in my vehicle, why have i been stopped?"

thats it, I remain polite, but i have no need to answer ANY questions about contents of my vehicle, my person, my taravelling habits, my origin or destination, nothing.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    thats it, I remain polite, but i have no need to answer ANY questions about contents of my vehicle, my person, my taravelling habits, my origin or destination, nothing.
    That really bugs me. It's none of their business where I'm going.

It's always hard to deal with certain officers when you don't want to answer their 20 questions but also don't want to piss them off by knowing your rights. I always answer questions like that as general as possible but I fear I come across as a huge smart-ass.

Officer: where you headed tonight?

Me: East

Personally, I never inform them if I'm carrying because I have been pulled over many, many times (lead foot) and I have found that the less information you give the better. It's far less likely that my not telling him will cause problems, but by telling him I risk escalating the situation instantly. I don't like being frisked, being asked to step out of the vehicle, being asked if there are any other weapons, being disarmed, or any of the things that may come from just not keeping my mouth shut.

I keep my mouth shut, take the ticket, don't consent to shit, and go about my business.

It's hard to

(Delaware County)

Here's another positive LEO experience.

I got a speeding ticket the other day heading up Rt 322 about 16 miles outside of State College - Corporal was from the Mifflin PD.

He pulled me over - I thought I was in a 65 - it was 55 - My fault for not paying enough attention to the signs. Juniata county is all 55.

I was OC'ing my 1911 and 2 spare mags. I had to go past my mags to get my wallet - he noticed but said nothing. Only after he came back and gave me my ticket did he ask if I was carrying - I said yes - 1911 in .45 - he said good gun. I asked if he needed to see my LTCF - he said no need - just slow down.

The officer was very professional
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast