Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Bushmaster C-15 Carbon Fiber AR?

Whats the good, the bad and the ugly on the BushMaster C-15 Carbon Fiber rifle? I know of a brand new one for sale along with a brand new Stag .308 AR-15 rifle. The Stag is $890, I have not yet asked about the Bushmaster.....I always considered BushMaster to be kind of bottom-barrel......

Whats the good about this Carbon Fiber rifle?

Whats the Bad about the Carbon Fiber rifle?

Larry

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Bushmaster C-15 Carbon Fiber AR?

I can only assume the best selling point for the CF is weight, but i have no real info.

just wanted to say that if you dont want the CF Bushy let me knoe how much and where. My wife wants an AR this year and it needs to be light, I would keep the CF lower for the build.

(Beaver County)

The upper and lower are carbone fiber if I understand him correctly.

I always considered BushMaster to be kind of bottom-barrel......>>Dam I bet the Military wish's they would have talked to you before purchasing so many 10's of thousands.,,lol

(Chester County)

Well, it's not really carbon fiber, it's more like zytel plastic.

I can't think of any reason for wanting one of these.

Uppers and lowers are Aluminum, they're not that heavy in the first place.

You can build a lightweight carbine with real parts, no need to buy cheap Bushy plastic parts.

14.5" LW barrel with a pinned and welded YHM phantom, std carbine stock, std handguards, flip up sights....it'd be plenty light.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    Whats the good, the bad and the ugly on the BushMaster C-15 Carbon Fiber rifle? I know of a brand new one for sale along with a brand new Stag .308 AR-15 rifle. The Stag is $890, I have not yet asked about the Bushmaster.....I always considered BushMaster to be kind of bottom-barrel......

Whats the good about this Carbon Fiber rifle?

Whats the Bad about the Carbon Fiber rifle?

Larry

Stag has a .308?!?!? Is it an Armalite (AR-10) or DPMS/Knights pattern or some proprietary type. For <$900, I'm impressed

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    Stag has a .308?!?!? Is it an Armalite (AR-10) or DPMS/Knights pattern or some proprietary type. For <$900, I'm impressed
    If it's the Knights/DPMS/LaRue pattern the new magpul 7.62x51 mags will work with it when they hit the market.

(Blair County)

I have seen these and they are not carbon fiber. The more people want super light guns I think you will see real carbon fiber in them.
    However If my memory serves me right it is more expensive to make than polymer and metal.
    I Know a ton of sports equipment, automotive aftermarket parts, etc are made of it.
    It is super strong and super light.
    I am actually surprised that no company has tried this with the trend of super small and light pocket guns.
    Quick some one call kel tec, ruger and taurus.
    True carbon fiber

I dont even think bushmaster markets it as carbon fiber.
    I thought it was the bushmaster carbon series.

Straight from the bushmaster sight.
    "Upper and Lower Receivers are molded Carbon 15 composite material for light weight, low maintenance and cool operation. All Receiver control functions are same as any AR Type firearm.
    Last edited by jmiro; January 22nd, 2009 at 07:53 PM.

(Beaver County)

The Bushmaster has had it's share of rounds through it. It is on consignment. They need $850 for it, but it needs a new pin in the BCG. The pin that you rotate 90 degrees and lift out of the bolt...the one with the square head on it....that the firing pin passes through....Yea....its broke. Its also gouged up. The entire BCG is coated with a composite material to prevent the metel from eating the plastic reciever, and the coating is pretty worn. I suspect the entire BCG should be tossed out.

If the pin is cracked... nearly broken in half, but not quite... This thing may not have the 600-1000 rounds the owner says... maybe 6,000 rounds and the barrel is hammered out?

Externally.... the gun looks to be in new condition. When I took it apart, it was DRY, carboned up and dirty, and looks well used..... except the hammer/trigger where the bolt slides does not look to be worn much at all.

Confusing.

I may offer the owner $700 and see if he will part with it, I feel a wise man will replace the BCG and the barrel as well as maybe the buffer spring. That should put the rifle back to near new condition. But that may also cost more than a new one!

(Bucks County)

I have 2 Carbon 15 pistols. Should be the same Lower as the Rifles. One was the original Professional Ordinance. One is a new Bushmaster. I put a few thousand rounds through the Professional Ordinance without problems. Then it blew up on me when I was using it with a suppressor on it. I think it was because of a round with a set back bullet I loaded into the magazine by mistake, but it's possible the additional pressures from the suppressor were part of the problem, possibly the over pressure from the round and the suppressor combined. It blew the buffer tube out the back and it smacked me on the chin. The frame itself split where the buffer tube screwed in. It did not come apart in pieces. Looking at the newer Bushmaster one, they have reinforced that part of the frame. When we talked with them on the phone they seemed aware of this happening with the older models.

FWIW I would still buy another.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast