Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Bushmaster C-15 Carbon Fiber AR?

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    Depending on what model it is, $700 may be a steal. Mine was well over $1000 retail back in 2002.
    Yeah, but the bolt is smoked...which means the bbl might be too.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    Anyone know about that coated BCG stuff? Can you toss an LMT in it, or will that destroy the carbon/composite material?

I am leaving work for the day, so I wont be able to respond again till tomorow.

Thank you guys... All of you. I really do appreciate personal opinion as much as documented fact.... but try not to attack other guys opinions. We are all allowed to have them.

Peace, love, and prosparity to all. I will be at the bar with a beer by 6:30 in Economy Boro... Meet me at the Candle-Light Lounge on Conway Wallrose Rd. if your thirsty!
    Depending on the model, yes. Some of the early ones used a different recoil system and a very light weight BCG. The recoil buffer and spring were way different than the standard milspec type. (Much better for a match rifle IMHO)
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Yeah, but the bolt is smoked...which means the bbl might be too.
    Don't jump to conclusions without seeing the gun. opps.. I forgot who posted this, "Mr. Opinion" himself.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    Don't jump to conclusions without seeing the gun. opps.. I forgot who posted this, "Mr. Opinion" himself.
    excuse me?

The Bushmaster has had it's share of rounds through it. It is on consignment. They need $850 for it, but it needs a new pin in the BCG. The pin that you rotate 90 degrees and lift out of the bolt...the one with the square head on it....that the firing pin passes through....Yea....its broke. Its also gouged up. The entire BCG is coated with a composite material to prevent the metel from eating the plastic reciever, and the coating is pretty worn. I suspect the entire BCG should be tossed out.
    If the pin is cracked... nearly broken in half, but not quite... This thing may not have the 600-1000 rounds the owner says... maybe 6,000 rounds and the barrel is hammered out?

Externally.... the gun looks to be in new condition. When I took it apart, it was DRY, carboned up and dirty, and looks well used..... except the hammer/trigger where the bolt slides does not look to be worn much at all.

Confusing.

I may offer the owner $700 and see if he will part with it, I feel a wise man will replace the BCG and the barrel as well as maybe the buffer spring. That should put the rifle back to near new condition. But that may also cost more than a new one!
    Maybe I can beat him down to $600.....I don't get the feel that he wants to go lower. He paid a grand for it and is feeling that its still worth nearly that. I already upset him last night when I told the shop owner (while on the phone with the owner) that this dudes lying and he "Shot the balls out of this thing". The guy claims the broken cam pin and gouges in the BCG are all from 600 rounds. There are also swirled gauges in the face of the firing pin. Also the bolt lugs are showing wear. I feel its had at least a few thousand happy BUMP FIRED round through it.... and the guy just wants to find some sucker to give him $850 or $900 for an abused, run dry, half broken down rifle.
    Care to explain why you think my conservative read on the situation is inaccurate?

I'm all ears.

(Beaver County)

Everything Synergy just recited is my exact words as seen at the gun store. This gun, yes... it looks great externally....Internally shows a huge difference. He appearantly did not drop it or bang it into things... that much he was carefull of. But the internals... as you take it apart you get that little feeling when it doesn't look right, smell right...or taste right. I'm told by the clerk that the owner claimed "maybe 600 rounds... not many more, if any more than 600 total." I don't have a habit of carrying a digi cam to the gun store, sorry about that. I may actually start to carry it to the shop in case of an interesting find.

I have pretty much let this go. I am waiting for one more call back from the store owner who wanted to discuss in further detail with the rifle's owner the condition of the internals. I told the owner of the shop to give me a yell if he will take $500 or a close ball park. If he still holds to $700, he can keep it or sale it to someone who knows no better. I am learning too fast on this website to be rooked that hard into buying someones junk. Part of that learning is from Synergy himself, as well as the many others who have taken the time and concern to chime in for my questions here.

Thank you all for your help, your valuable time and for your support.

Larry0071

(Beaver County)

Hey guys, I think I am back in the game on this. $600 and I am getting a C-More red dot that is $300 thrown in. So I'll order the entire new bolt carrier group for $140 from BushMaster and hope for the best.

(Philadelphia County)

Not bad, let us know how it looks after a good cleaning.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Not bad, let us know how it looks after a good cleaning.
    LP,

I'll try to get over there and pick it up this week. I made a deal with the guy that made it so that it will cost me $400 out of pocket, I sold him 4 Rancho shocks for his truck and told him to apply the money for the shocks to the rifle and I'll pay cash for the difference.

So I'll have about $570 in it, my $400 cash and my cost on 4 Rancho shocks.

I wont shoot it until I get the new BCG from Bush, but I'll get it all cleaned up and take some pictures to post. This is going to be the wifes rifle, at 5.5 lbs, its a nice weight for her while giving her the same punch as a slightly hevier model... and I'm not spending a grand to do it. The C-More red dot that is coming with it really sweetens the door, its a C-More tactical red dot in alluminum, thats like a $350 accessory.

My next delema is... Now I have 3 AR/M4 stlye rifles and only 28 magazines. Less than 10 mags per rifle.... maybe I should get 10 more 30 rd P-Mags.

I also want to get 3 Daniel Defense Omega Rails for them. Thats about $250 each.

I wish money would start growing on my tree out back, I can't seem to get cash fast enough for my appetite.

(Philadelphia County)

Damn, that works out quite well. Before and after pics, I wanna see how nasty this guy let it get.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Damn, that works out quite well. Before and after pics, I wanna see how nasty this guy let it get.
    Remember, I already spent 10 or 15 min cleaning it at the gun store a week ago. That was when Synergy and I were talking about if this wasa good idea or not. I was there and asked to see the BCG mainly because I wanted to see the staking and see if the bolts appreared to have been moved. That led to me standing there for at least 10 min with a rag and a can of AMSOIL CLP scrubbing at the various parts of the BCG that I had completely taken apart for inspection after I saw how dirty and carboned up it was.

At this point, the BCG is clean and I will show you the crack in the cam pin (Thank you Synergy, I did not know the proper name for that!) as soon as get it. They are open until 8PM tomorow evening, so I'll try to go get it. If not, Thursday is another late night.

I'll also do a Stag, Charles Daly, Bushmaster side by side pictorial to show any obvious differences in the three. I did that on another forum with the Stag 1L and the Charles Daly Defense D-M4. I was surprised I had little to no responses on that. There were quite a bit of differences between the Stag and CDD. The CDD is a much nicer machine than the cheaper Stag.... go figiure. Link to the Stag vs Charles Daly Defense pictures and comparison:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24085

I'm interested in seeing how the Bushmaster fits into that mix.

The next pictorial will be done on this site.

Larry0071

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast