Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Smile Legal Deer Hunting w/ military rifles ammos

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a rifle for deer hunting with the following requirements.

+ Fires a military round that is cheap and available in SP (7.62x54R or 7.62x39)
    + Can mount a scope (or hunt with iron sights?) POSP scope would be nice.
    + Bolt-action (due to PA).
    + Future ammo availablity

Are there any rifles that fit this criteria? Are mil-surp bolt-actions accurate enough for hunting?

I think the only thing that will work is a Mosin-Nagant. Mausers have expensive ammo. It would be cool to hunt with a Druganov or SKS, but alas. Maybe in WV or OH?

I don't know much about Allied used rifles. I saw some Ishapore's on sale at my local shop. Don't know if they can shoot Win .308 even though they are chambered for 7.62 NATO. .308 ammo is expensive, but I guess hunting should be done carefully....

Any advice? The other WW2 rifles are chambered in 30-06 or .303 which will be hard to find.

Thanks much.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Legal Deer Hunting w/ military rifles ammos

Lee Enfields---.

As for cost- anything with a primer is stupid $$ right now. .308 is as much as .303. Yes the Isa's will shoot al forms of .308.

Or get a K98.

The M44's are getting to be used more and more. But the trigger creep is too long IMO.
    There are also Itl and jap rilfes from WW2 but ammo is hard to find and in some cases only Norma makes it and your looking at $45+ a bx. Plus TX not withstanding they are not the best shooters.

I didn't forget the good old 1903, but unless they are already bugered up and sportized I can't see someone taking a collectors piece in the woods. Though I could bet $ someone on here does just to do it.

I miss anything?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Ammo for deer hunting isn't as expensive as going to a range to shoot. A box of rifle ammo for deer hunting will last a while. For starters you aren't going to get a lot of shooting with the way the deer numbers are. Second if you are shooting at anything that moves and are going to go through that much ammo you won't find many places to hunt or people to hunt with. A box of rifle ammo will last me at least 5 yrs. and that is shooting 2 deer a year-if I'm lucky enough to see any-and the occasional couple shots at the range to check zero.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Lee Enfields---.

As for cost- anything with a primer is stupid $$ right now. .308 is as much as .303. Yes the Isa's will shoot al forms of .308.

Or get a K98.

The M44's are getting to be used more and more. But the trigger creep is too long IMO.
    There are also Itl and jap rilfes from WW2 but ammo is hard to find and in some cases only Norma makes it and your looking at $45+ a bx. Plus TX not withstanding they are not the best shooters.

I didn't forget the good old 1903, but unless they are already bugered up and sportized I can't see someone taking a collectors piece in the woods. Though I could bet $ someone on here does just to do it.

I miss anything?

Hey slim, what Jap ammo you buying for $45.00 a box? Cabelas sells 6.5X55 as well as 7.7. loaded by Hornady. Both are around the $22.00 a box amount.

Norma is expensive yes, but I can't recall seeing it for $45.00 a box. Buy loaded rounds brand new and save the cases for reloading. Buying brass only is a ripoff, same price or more as the factory loaded ammo. Every trip to Cabelas I buy a box of 7.7. Once shot the brass goes into the tumbler and is reloaded.

>303 is not that hard to get. Again, buy factory loads, shoot then reload.

(Monroe County)

I did not know they are loading that now. As for Norma
    http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0014430210820a.shtml

I said you could, not that I would. Also PZT is now loading 6.5 Carcano for a good $$ now.
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...acturers_id/26
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

I'm not sure how readily available the Spanish FR-8 is.

File photo..

I got mine considerably cheaper than this.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=121155515

They shoot 7.62 X 51 NATO or you could shoot .308. I think the action could take a commercial 308 round but it would be wise to check this out first. I may take this rifle out for deer at some point.

Here's me shooting one at a local group shoot.

I also have a Ishapore 2A which could be used with 308 ammo.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Interesting point about not needing so much ammo. I assumed that hunters practice with the rounds they hunt with. Is a 22LR rifle a suitable practice substitute?

Or is markmanship? My impression of hunting is that it's like sniping.

I was thinking of something that I could shoot cheap mil-surp ammo for practice and use SP for hunting.

I'm leaning towards a Mosin-Nagant. But I have no clue if they are accurate enough for hunting. JG Sales had a sniper version for $400 and a couple of "regular" ones for $90 or so.

I figured whatever was good enough for Finnish snipers would probably be fine for hunting.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    I did not know they are loading that now. As for Norma
    http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0014430210820a.shtml

I said you could, not that I would. Also PZT is now loading 6.5 Carcano for a good $$ now.
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...acturers_id/26
    I stand corrected on the Norma ammo......However, like I said Go with Hornady much cheaper.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I'm not sure how readily available the Spanish FR-8 is.

File photo..

I got mine considerably cheaper than this.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=121155515

They shoot 7.62 X 51 NATO or you could shoot .308. I think the action could take a commercial 308 round but it would be wise to check this out first. I may take this rifle out for deer at some point.

Here's me shooting one at a local group shoot.

I also have a Ishapore 2A which could be used with 308 ammo.
    That is a sharp looking rifle. I'd love to get hold of one. Looks like a cross between an SKS, an Enfield, and an M44 Mosin.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove View Post

I'm leaning towards a Mosin-Nagant. But I have no clue if they are accurate enough for hunting. JG Sales had a sniper version for $400 and a couple of "regular" ones for $90 or so.

I figured whatever was good enough for Finnish snipers would probably be fine for hunting.
    We shoot groundhogs with ours...the 91/30s. I can't hit them past 100yds, but the guy who owns the ground took one at about 350. This is with irons, random sub-$100 rifles. I'd say they could be made to hunt deer.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast