http://www.kolnkgin.com/news/headlines/37827174.html
Update Cities Won't Drop Concealed Carry Ban
Lincoln
Posted: 12:09 PM Jan 19, 2009
Last Updated: 7:13 PM Jan 19, 2009
Reporter: Terra Hall
Email Address: terra.hall@kolnkgin.com

Cities Ponder Concealed Carry Ban

Most of the Nebraska cities with local bans on concealed weapons have no plans to repeal them after the attorney general said state law allowing such weapons should override any local ban.

Lynn Rex with the League of Nebraska Municipalities said Monday the cities disagree with the attorney general's interpretation of the state concealed weapons law.

Rex says about 10 of the 12 Nebraska cities with weapons bans discussed the issue last week. And she says all the officials involved in that conference call agreed that state law gives cities the power to restrict weapons.

So Rex says none of those cities plans to repeal its restrictions on concealed weapons, and the municipal group doesn't plan to ask lawmakers to revise the law.

The issue came up after State Sen. Mark Christensen of Imperial asked Attorney General Jon Bruning for an opinion on the law.

When the law passed, it appeared local bans were possible. But Bruning says that's not the case.

"There were some of them under the understanding that they could indeed opt out of this law," Bruning said. "But when we looked at the plain words on the paper, we realized that wasn't going to be possible, and it's an honest difference of opinion. But, I think we're right; I think if this thing goes all the way to the Supreme Court, these cities are going to be unable to opt out."

The state's concealed-carry law, which was passed in 2006, allows residents to carry concealed guns after taking safety courses and obtaining permits.

Beatrice is among the cities banning concealed weapons. Police Chief Bruce Lang believes more guns could lead to more violence.

"We don't need more guns on the street in any form," Lang said. "I understand law abiding citizens to have the right to bear arms and the constitutional freedoms that are involved in that, but my personal feeling is that more guns are just more problems."

But Attorney General Bruning says a ban won't keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

"If you're talking about a criminal, they're going to carry a gun no matter what the law says in a concealed fashion. This law only affects people who care enough about the law to go down and apply for a permit. So, I thnk the concerns about additional violence are unfounded," Bruning said.

While Bruning will not force cities to accept the concealed-carry law, his opinion may lay the groundwork for some senators to create legislation to force cities to repeal the bans.

The Nebraska State Patrol says 2007 information the following cities had concealed weapons bans: Beatrice; Columbus; Crawford; Hastings; Holdrege; Kearney; Lexington; Norfolk; O'Neill; Seward; South Sioux City and Wayne.

In the past, Scottsbluff had been included on the list of Nebraska cities that banned concealed weapons, but its rules are much less restrictive. Scottsbluff adopted rules last fall that prohibit concealed weapons only in buildings owned or leased by the city.