Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Candidates for PA Supreme Court

Does anybody have info about the candidates running for the Pennsylvania Supreme Court? In particular, how likely they are to faithfully interpret the PA Constitution especially Art.1 Sec.21 ("The right of the citizens to bear arms ... shall not be questioned")? The primary election is May 15, 2007.

The page http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworl...,5005267.story lists the candidates; they are as follows.
    Democrats: Philadelphia County Judges Willis W. Berry Jr. and C. Darnell Jones II; and Superior Court Judges Seamus P. McCaffery of Philadelphia and Debra M. Todd of Allegheny County. The state party has endorsed McCaffery and Todd.
    Republicans: Michael L. Krancer of Montgomery County, chief judge of the state Environmental Hearing Board; Superior Court Judge Maureen Lally-Green of Butler County; Philadelphia County Judge Paul P. Panepinto. Krancer and Lally-Green have the state party's endorsement.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Candidates for PA Supreme Court

On the Republican side by far the best candidate for gun rights is Paul Panepinto. He has been campaigning from day one about how he's a strict constructionist like Scalia and Alito. Panepinto would read Article 1 Section 21 exactly how it was meant to be read. I have no doubt Panepinto would preserve protect and defend to the very end our right to bear arms here in Pennsylvania.

The other two candidates are just copy cats of Panepinto. Everything Panepinto says, a couple days later they come out and say the same thing but it's totally disingenuous. I was reading on the Grassroots PA blog the other day how Krancer was putting out literature and stuff that didn't even mention that he was a Republican!

Well that doesn't matter so much to us because we're concerned with gun rights... well let me tell you, Krancer's stuff, I've seen it, he talks about how he was a trial lawyer and gets along with ED RENDELL. I read on the blog that Krancers dad gave like $200k to Rendell when he was running for governor! Unbelievable...

So you know how politicians are , they go and they pander to you and tell you what they think you want to hear..but like the guy on the blog said, when it comes time to put your money where your mouth is Krancer doesn't say anything about protecting our right to bear arms and neither does Lally Green (aka the wicked witch of the west - goodness, have you seen her? she's scary looking! they both are actually..)

The ONLY candidate who consistently under all circumstances shows that he really strongly believes and is not just pandering is Paul Panepinto. He's our guy.

I can't speak to the Democrats, they're probably on the wrong side of the issue anyway if history is any indicator...

(Montgomery County)

I've met Judge Panepinto on several occasions. He is a down to earth guy who really wants to hear what you have to say.

Being politically involved in my area, we usually get approached by candidates or their staff, just prior to the elections. Judge Panepinto is the only candidate who reached out to ask us for his support.

He answered positively when asked about his strict adherence to Article 1, section 21 of our wonderful state constitution...My man!

In May and, hopefully in November, Judge Paul has my vote.

B.

(Lancaster County)

Krancer is endorsed by the NRA, for what that's worth (probably not all that much). Panepinto didn't seem to get the Republican committee recommendation; anyone know why?

(Philadelphia County)

Please see and download the endorsements from Firearm Owners Against Crime for information.

FOAC is a great pro-gun PAC and does immense amounts of research for their endorsements.

The names to look for are:

Democrats: Seamus McCafferty
    Republicans: Maureen Lally-Green & Mike Krancer

Maureen Lally-Green worked for former PA Supreme Court Justice Flaherty who wrote this opinion when striking down Philadelphia & Pittsburgh's illegal gun bans in violation of 6120

Quote Originally Posted by SUPREME COURT OF PENNSYLVANIA, 545 Pa. 279; 681 A.2d 152; 1996 Pa. LEXIS 1447, May 1, 1996, ARGUED July 18, 1996, DECIDED
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the
    State shall not be questioned...Because the ownership of firearms is
    constitutionally protected, its regulation is a matter of statewide concern.
    The constitution does not provide that the right to bear arms shall not be
    questioned in any part of the commonwealth except Philadelphia and
    Pittsburgh, where it may be abridged at will, but that it shall not be
    questioned in any part of the commonwealth."
    The PAFOA does not endorse any candidates, but we are happy to pass on information we have received and point you towards other sources of information.

Just make sure to vote!
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Montgomery County)

I believe that Krancer was endorsed by state committee...a state committee that is headed by one Bob Asher. Asher is very influential in Montgomery County politics, and Krancer hails from Lower Merion, Montgomery County.

That might be the very reason he was endorsed over Panepinto.

B.