Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Recoil from .357 Mag Marlin 1894C vs .44 Mag Marlin 1894

So, my wife is trying to decide whether she wants a .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum Marlin lever carbine, but she's not a fan of a sharp recoil.

My .357 Marlin had basically zero recoil. It was a ton of fun to shoot, too. But I've never fired the .44 Mag lever guns from Marlin, or anyone else for that matter, so I have no idea how hard they kick, or how they kick.

Any input?
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Recoil from .357 Mag Marlin 1894C vs .44 Mag Marlin 1894

I've got a 1894 in .44 and the recoil is minimal. I've not shot it back to back with another rifle for comparison, but to me it was nothing I even thought about after the first shot.

My brothers .444 marlin is nothing, compared to my '06.
    Similar to my .338WM, with a break.

(Berks County)

Recoil is a matter of personal perception hence the word "Felt Recoil" vs. "Actual Recoil".

44 Mag is simply the better choice for hunting, and will increase both the shooting range and leathality especially in a rifle barrel.

44 Mag loads can have upto 20 % more energy than the .357 Mag but the effects of recoil (Felt Recoil) can be easily be reduced by:
    1. Better stock grip can be enhanced by resizing or adding grip pads.
    2. PROPER stock fit realtive to length of pull.
    3. Use a Kick-Eze or Limb Saver recoil pad makes a big difference.
    4. PROPER fit of scope. Low rings aren't always the correct answer and
    neither are see thru rings!!!! If you want to have open sights as a back up
    INVEST in good QR style rings

Note the importance in reverse order

If you want her to be happy, and a hunting buddy a little work in PROPER fitting is an INVESTMENT that will long pay off...and will serve as wonderful example to both women...and children who are the future of this sport. After all it's all about having fun.

(Susquehanna County)

Why not try the 1894C in .45 Colt? You can goose the loads up so you'll get better than 1000 fps with a 200 to 250 gr. bullet but you won't have the recoil or noise you get from a .44 Magnum. You'll also have a pretty wide selection of bullets to choose from since the bore size of the .45 Colt is the same as the bore size of the .45 ACP (has been since after WWII). That's nearly reloaders heaven! If you search around you'll find reloading data for .45 Colt in at least 3 different flavors (not counting Cowboy Action loads) you have loads suitable for traditional SAA revolvers, relatively light, but don't get in front of a 250 gr slug doing 800 fps! Medium stiff loads suitable for "modern" double action side swing cylinder revolvers like S&W's Model 25, and heavy loads suitable for the strong and modern SA Revolvers like Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk and strong rifles like the Marlin.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

This issue was recently discussed over at the Marlin forum and you may find the discussion helpful:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,38560.0.html

For me, I'll be ordering an 1894C next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Why not try the 1894C in .45 Colt? You can goose the loads up so you'll get better than 1000 fps with a 200 to 250 gr. bullet but you won't have the recoil or noise you get from a .44 Magnum. You'll also have a pretty wide selection of bullets to choose from since the bore size of the .45 Colt is the same as the bore size of the .45 ACP (has been since after WWII). That's nearly reloaders heaven! If you search around you'll find reloading data for .45 Colt in at least 3 different flavors (not counting Cowboy Action loads) you have loads suitable for traditional SAA revolvers, relatively light, but don't get in front of a 250 gr slug doing 800 fps! Medium stiff loads suitable for "modern" double action side swing cylinder revolvers like S&W's Model 25, and heavy loads suitable for the strong and modern SA Revolvers like Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk and strong rifles like the Marlin.
    Biggest reason is that I can download a .44 down to those .45 Colt specs, or up to a full power Magnum round for deer or pig hunting.

Liable to get pair of 1894Cs, anyway. We were talking, and remember handling the .357 and .44 versions in the store when we bought my first one, and much preferring the way the little 1894C handled.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    Biggest reason is that I can download a .44 down to those .45 Colt specs, or up to a full power Magnum round for deer or pig hunting.

Liable to get pair of 1894Cs, anyway. We were talking, and remember handling the .357 and .44 versions in the store when we bought my first one, and much preferring the way the little 1894C handled.
    JoeWilliams:

I'm self-inflicted sufferer of Marlinitis.

I have both 1894s in .44MAG and the .357MAG.

I love them both. And for me the felt recoil is minimal.

Though I buy factory made ammo and have never shot reloads, I'm sure that if necessary you, as a reloader, would be able to adjust the .44 load up or down according to the intended user or the specific need.

Among the other Marlin rifles I own, these seem the best suited to hunting and shooting in the brush of NEPA.

Enjoy whichever caliber rifle your family decides to acquire first.

Stay well.

---elston

"I have always been fond of the West African proverb: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.'" - Theodore Roosevelt, January 26, 1900.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! - King Leonidas I, 480 B.C.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. - modern adage.