Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default LCTF in Mercer County...slooooooooow process

I feel a rant coming on...

Isn't this 2009? Am I missing something? Why in the world can I read about people on this forum going into a courthouse and walking out with a LCTF, but Mercer County is moving at the speed of Amish? Actually, that's not fair to the Amish, who can be quite efficient at times.

It's also kinda crummy that you can't go to any PA county...or at least a neighboring county. Mercer County has the costliest LCTF in the region.

Friday: I stopped at the sheriff's office and they have a sign above a tray of forms telling people to fill out the form and mail it back. Screw that, I had the form already filled out (thank you, Venango County Sheriff Web site). Well, it turns out that they don't take cash. Just great. Who in the world doesn't take cash??? The surrounding counties do! It was the end of the day, so I didn't have time to get a money order and go back.

Today: I came back with the form and money order. The dude at the window tells me it will take 6-8 weeks to process! Isn't there a 45-day window? According to my math, the estimate blows that out of the water! On top of that, when they finish the background check, they have to call or write to me to tell me that they are done, then I need to go in for a photo. And the photo center is only open a handful of days per month! Couldn't they pull my DL photo from the PennDOT database?

In the age of computers (I know, that was the 1990s), you'd think that they'd have some smokin' process that can turn it around quickly - like other counties I read about on here.

Ugh.

Sorry for the rant. I know it could be worse...but yeeesh!

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: LCTF in Mercer County...slooooooooow process

Cost is set by the UFA at $25 as is the time frame that they have to get it to you, 45 days. Anything beyond that and they are breaking the law. What are they trying to charge you?

(Indiana County)

Although he/she doesn't answer to them, write to your County Commissioners. Ask them to figure out what the problem is.

(Lancaster County)

In lancaster county the guy only accepted cash or mo.

(Chester County)

Chester Cty does not take cash.

The state law is 45 days from receipt of the application. And those are 24 hours days NOT business days.

(Mercer County)

Mercer County charges $30 for LTCF. Venango is $28 and Butler is $25.

Yeah, I know it's only $5, but why not a uniform price?

I happen to know two of the commissioners, so if it goes too long I'll ask...and hope that it doesn't black flag my application. D'oh!

(Northampton County)

I'm sorry I always thought it was against the law to refuse cash in sales, especially from the government. I mean doesn't it say on all cash "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private". It might be my error but I always thought that meant that was the one payment form that could not be refused.

Paradigm, the sheriff is breaking the law if he waits over 45 days. Unfortunately it is up to you to sue him if he breaks that law. If you are interested in doing so and I REALLY hope you are, PM me as I might be able to help you with that.

As for the cash question. I always thought it was against federal law to refuse cash. I just did a minute of research on it and now think it's only illegal to refuse cash for a debt already incurred. As you didn't get a license and they didn't accept your application with out the money order, you didn't owe them anything and so they don't need to accept it. Basically a store can refuse to sell you something for cash, but AMEX can't refuse to accept it for the amount you owe them for the same purchase. I haven't checked Pa. law to see if there is anything there.

Keep your chin up - I know how it seems reading these awesome stories about a LTCF issued before their complementary coffee got cold. I would at least call the sheriff's office and let him know that you "saw the 6-8 week sign and that you expect he will follow the law and process your application within the statutory maximum 45 calendar days."

Good luck.

(Mercer County)

Thanks for the input, everyone...

I'm hoping that the response that I received was just "boilerplate" to keep people from calling every day to find out the status. I imagine that the process will be quicker.

I don't expect it to be too quick. When I talked to our police chief, he said they really check out the applicant, including calling the police in the applicant's town. Ugh. Don't they have computers? Don't they have access to InstaCheck? I have an uber-clean record, so you'd think that if no red flags popped up, I'd be good to go (just like the other guys on here who get an LTCF in 10-20 minutes).

I'll talk to our police chief and see if he would give me the heads up when they call for background info.

(Lawrence County)

PICS won't tell the Sheriff certain things he probably wants to know. Having your name and address known by the local police can be a good thing or a bad thing... Almost all the police know me, some through work, some personally... However, they know me as one of the good guys. If you were known to the police in your city as the drunk they drive home every Friday after you get paid because you wanted to walk home from the bar hammered, that's the bad way. The Sheriff is looking to make sure you aren't the latter...

Legal? Certainly doesn't sound like it. Worth a lawsuit? Not to me, but then again, a standard retainer costs more than I bring home in a month... lol

Lawrence County's Sheriff, Perry, is a great guy. Next year when i renew, it'll be under him. But when i got my first LTCF, it cost me $25 and took about 2 weeks. I heard people are getting them faster now...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast