Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Carry in State Parks?

I'm just wondering if the "no firearms" rule of state parks trumps state law regarding legal places to carry. As far as I know the concealed carry laws don't specify state parks as off-limits for carry. So, is it kosher or not?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Carry in State Parks?

Its been mentioned many times here that carrying in state parks is a violation of their "regulation" and not a violation of PA law. However, according to their rules & reg a violation of their regulation can get you a summary citation (max fine of $300 and/or 90 days in the klink).

I cannot tell you what to do, but I know what I do, and not just because I am a LEO.

(Cambria County)

What about State Parks that allow hunting on their land. Blue Knob State Park near me allows hunting. Can they keep you from carrying a pistol?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    What about State Parks that allow hunting on their land. Blue Knob State Park near me allows hunting. Can they keep you from carrying a pistol?
    I believe that if you are hunting, you are fine carrying your handgun so long as you have a valid CCW permit.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Jefferson County)

Keep it concealed and there wont be a problem.

(Luzerne County)

The "regulation" states the the firearms are supposed to be "cased" unless you are hunting. In areas where you can hunt you can carry. Its the other areas that have people concerned.

(Potter County)

don't confuse state parks with state forests, all the Pa state parks i have been in are no hunting no firearms (must be cased), due to a combo picnicing areas and camping or just camping

Pa forests according to their rules as far is i can find do not prohibit firearms same as Pa picnic areas, so concealed is ok

there is some question in my mine about concealed in state game lands (maybe the latest change that the FB singed into law changed that)

somebody correct me if i am wrong. i do alot of hiking in the woods

(Luzerne County)

There is no or ever was any question about CCW'ing on SGL land, only that you could not carry a semi-auto pistol while hunting. This restriction has since been taken care of.

(Carbon County)

This has gotten me thinking.

I pledge $100 toward the legal defense fund of anyone who is issued a summons for violating state park carry and is willing to challenge this probable violation of UniformFirearmsAct.
    Maybe this is something PAFOA can do in the future? A Legal Defense Fund for issues? More $ in numbers
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    don't confuse state parks with state forests, all the Pa state parks i have been in are no hunting no firearms (must be cased), due to a combo picnicing areas and camping or just camping
    there are state parks around here that allow hunting. they have designated areas where hunting is allowed and other designated areas where it is not.

i think potter county (and other counties in northcentral PA...where i grew up) might be different because there is so much other land (state forests and SGL) to hunt that there isn't really any need for state parks to allow hunting. i never really thought of a state park as a place to go hunting growing up either. but around here, a lot of hunting takes place in state parks.

also, i'm not sure it would technically matter if you are hunting or not regarding carrying in a state park...the exception to the regulation states that the exception only applies if:

the firearm, archery equipment, or other device used for this activity is lawful for hunting under the Game and Wildlife code....
    and later

A person licensed by the Game Commission to hunt, and in possession of a device that is lawful for hunting under the Game and Wildlife code, during hunting season as established by the Game Commission, in a State Park open for hunting.
    (here are the complete regs: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...wrulesregs.pdf)

since a semi-auto pistol is not lawful for hunting, i could see how the courts might interpret that CCWing a semi-auto pistol does not qualify for this exception even if you are hunting.

i could, however, also see how you could argue that being in possession of a device that is legal for hunting during hunting season in a State Park open for hunting means you are completely exempt from the no firearms regulation...including your CCW piece.

i don't know, but i'd just be careful.

like steve said, though, i know what i do...hunting season or not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast