Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Belt Man Horsehide or Wilderness Instructor Belt

I was wondering from anyone out there that may have experience with both products which they feel is a stiffer belt for carrying.

Sice both are fairly pricey, especially the Belt Man Horsehide belt I wanted to see which would work best and see if the Belt Man belt was worth double the price of the Wilderness belt.

I may be carrying IWB or OWB depending on the season and the garments worn but I always need a belt.

Any opinions.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Belt Man Horsehide or Wilderness Instructor Belt

I have a Wilderness Instructor belt with the 5 line stitching (reinforcement). It is quite stiff (I'll go so far as to say very stiff) and I like it. It is however my first purpose built gunbelt and I have no experience with the Beltman belt to compare it to.

(Luzerne County)

I looked at the Wilderness 5 stitch with the polymer insert. I figured that was as stiff as they could make it and it was $55. The Belt Man Horsehide belt which was their stiffest was $100.

Big difference, especially when I am looking at two holsters, a Crossbreed and a Galco for two seperate guns as well.

I just don't want to spend money where I don't have to.

(Allegheny County)

I have both belts. Both are stiff enough to support my carry system. I tend to use the Wilderness belt for hiking, camping, and other such activities. For daily/work I prefer the Beltman. If I had to pick one though, I'd likely say Beltman and be done with it. The velcro on the Wilderness can wear out and need replaced periodically. Mine is 8yrs old and has been re-velcroed probably 3 or 4 times. Thats the only downside I've experienced so far.

(York County)

I have worn neither of the two specified in the OP. Currently I am using the 5.11 Tactical Operator Belt, plenty sturdy (it handily contains my XD45 tactical fullsize with 13+1) and is an economical alternative to the more expensive belts.

I would also recommend against the 1 3/4" belts, too wide for too many belt loops. Stick with 1.25" - 1.5".

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks for the replies. I was really leaning towards the Wilderness belt even after seeing the 5.11 belt. But I think after hearing that they need to be revelcored every so often I might go with the Beltman horsehide belt.

It will end up be more expensive but I plan on wearing it daily so I would hate to half to have issues with velcro and stuff.

i've got a brown and a black beltman and am very pleased with both. I wear the black one probably 90% of the time and it's still in great condition even after almost 2yrs. I can easily carry a full size gun with 2mags and not think twice about it. I don't have the polymer inserts either.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I would also recommend against the 1 3/4" belts, too wide for too many belt loops. Stick with 1.25" - 1.5".
    agreed. 1 3/4" is even a bit big for alot of holsters.

All my stuff is 1.5

(Luzerne County)

I was planning on getting the belt along with a Crossbreed Supertuck holster but I have to say after carry my Kel Tec P11 in a Fobus paddle all day for a few days on my exisitng belt the gun it is eating a whole in my side.

I have a few extra pounds on and when I sit or drive the gun is up against my side, possibly due to the curve of the car seat. When I stand their is room between my side and the grip when worn at the 4 o'clock position. I am wondering if the IWB option will work for me. I may be better off with a good quality high ride pancake holster instead with a really good belt to pull it in close.

Tough choices, especially with summer carry coming around the corner.

I have the Beltman horsehide 1 3/4. It fits the loops on my Wrangler cargo pants, but is too wide for my father's jeans. (I was letting him try it out) The belt is brutally strong. Because it does not stretch, the top doesn't end up narrower than the bottom, causing your holster to tip inward. I generally carry IWB, but I tried out my Serpa last week and was amazed at how weightless the whole thing felt. No flopping about when I moved quickly. The thing really just looks like any other belt. Nothing about it screams "tacticool."
    We've been monitoring him on the e-mail for a while. --York PD Lt. Gene Fells

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    I was planning on getting the belt along with a Crossbreed Supertuck holster but I have to say after carry my Kel Tec P11 in a Fobus paddle all day for a few days on my exisitng belt the gun it is eating a whole in my side.

I have a few extra pounds on and when I sit or drive the gun is up against my side, possibly due to the curve of the car seat. When I stand their is room between my side and the grip when worn at the 4 o'clock position. I am wondering if the IWB option will work for me. I may be better off with a good quality high ride pancake holster instead with a really good belt to pull it in close.

Tough choices, especially with summer carry coming around the corner.
    I have pure kustom IWB holsters for my sig p226, and full size 1911 w/ full length rail and it's easy to forget they are there at times so my bet is on your current belt/holster setup being your problem. I'm also a pretty big guy so don't blame the gut!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast