Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Shipping pistol for custom work

I need to ship my Springfield Xdm to a custom shop in OR. I have never shipped a firearm before and I am a little confused. I know I need to declare it as a firearm and pay for overnight shipping. But the language that FexEX and UPS use and being "Licensed" makes me think I can't ship it to the shop if they don't have an FFL#....which it seems they don't. So how does this work?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Shipping pistol for custom work

You can ship it directly to the shop. You will most likely need to go to the UPS/Fedex shipping center, not one of those UPS/Fedex store fronts.

You will also be able to receive it straight to your doorstep when its done.

One of the other guys can help you with the paperwork, I've never had to ship one(I do my own work).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You can ship it directly to the shop.
    Even if the shop is not an FFL?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Do I need to get to fedex by a certain time in the morning to have it shipped overnight? What happens if I get there after that time....do they have you come back the next day or do they just hold the package and tell you it will go out the following day?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Even if the shop is not an FFL?
    For the shop to work on guns as a gunsmith, or to manufacturer them and do repairs under warranty - they better have a FFL or they are in big trouble. No one should ever send their guns(receiver) to someone or some business that doesn't have a dealers license or higher for repairs or other modifications.

If a shop works on guns as a means of business/commerce - they need a FFL. Even if its some bumper chrome plating shop that occasionally plates a gun. There are several types of FFL's, from pawn shop license to manufacturer/importer of firearms. Most of the higher levels of FFL also cover the lower levels. Like a FFL dealer can also gunsmith with his. A manufacturer can make guns and ammo, and also gunsmith/repair. IIRC, a pawn shop FFL can only take in guns and either pawn or sell them back off. But a dealer can pawn them legally under federal law(state law may say otherwise about pawnshops).

I'm capable of gunsmithing too, however I lack a license and I cannot do it legally. I can supervise you doing it, I can even help to some degree - but in no way shape or form can I receive money or items in barter for services rendered.
    Last edited by knight0334; January 19th, 2009 at 10:34 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
    Do I need to get to fedex by a certain time in the morning to have it shipped overnight? What happens if I get there after that time....do they have you come back the next day or do they just hold the package and tell you it will go out the following day?
    No, all you have to do is have the proper paperwork filled out and the gun declared, pay for Fedex's required Overnight and be done with it.. Its not your responsibility to be there by a certain time. And there is no legal requirement to have the gun shipped overnight - its the carrier's mandate They do that because overnight packages are in their hands for less time(lessens liability risks) and overnight packages are generally kept better track of.

Thanks,

The Gun is on it's way, and the shop does have an FFL....he just didn't give me the number initially because he knew I wouldn't need it. But it is listed on the website.

Can't wait to get it back and get to the range!