Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default First IDPA match - After Action Report

I went and shot the match today at Ontelaunee Rod and Gun. Even in the snow and the cold, I had a great time. Walt, Ken and the rest of the gang made the match a lot of fun even though I struggled for much of it.
    Some lessons learned:

Using a holster with thumb break is not a good choice for concealed carry or IDPA. I've ordered an open-top holster and double-mag carrier so I'll be better-equipped next time.

My weak hand shooting leaves alot to be desired. Need more practice.

I couldn't hit worth a damn at 25 yards. Need more practice.

Need to pay more attention to the course of fire. Twice in the middle of a stage I had a brain fart and totally forgot what the hell I was doing. Very humbling.

Round counts. Twice I shot the gun dry and tried pulling the trigger on an empty gun only to realize I had to reload. Doh!

Even with all of that, I did manage to shoot the last stage clean(granted, it was only six shots at a straight line of non-moving targets, but still...)

All in all, I had a great time and am anxiuosly waiting for the next match.

Default Re: First IDPA match - After Action Report

Thanks for the report! Kudos on taking the step and trying the course. I've never done one because of the intimidation factor of going up against much better hands than I. Maybe you've inspired me to give it a go. Just got to get a pistol that will equal the challange. What are you shooting?

(Monroe County)

The week hand swingers were a mess for me as well. It just turned into a hose fest for me. No matter how many times i said to myself to keep the pull cable in my hand, when the buzzer went off i dropped the damn thing. Take your time to make your shots count. Welcome to an amazingly enjoyable new hobby/ costly addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Thanks for the report! Kudos on taking the step and trying the course. I've never done one because of the intimidation factor of going up against much better hands than I. Maybe you've inspired me to give it a go. Just got to get a pistol that will equal the challange. What are you shooting?
    My gun is a S&W Model 59 in 9mm. Fairly old, but it fits my hand perfectly and it's the gun I have the most time on so I'll probably stick with it. I do have a Browning Hi-Power I want to use eventually.

Probably the most important thing to remember is to forget about the clock and focus on shooting the stages safely and making your shots count. The guys running the match aren't going to care if you can double-tap every target at light speed. The emphasis is always on shooting a safe match. At least, that's the impression I got at Ontelaunee.

Next match for me is 1/24 at Lower Providence.

(Monroe County)

You more than likely have this if you got the email about the match results be this si a good tool for training videos and upcoming match info

http://www.nepaidpascores.net/

(Bucks County)

Shooting an IDPA course changes your whole perspective, huh? I'm glad you learned so much and had fun . . . even in the cold.

(Centre County)

I shot my first match with a Hi-Point C-9, Uncle Mikes Pancake Holster and a couple of generic mag pouches. All it did was set the hook.... Now I find myself traveling half way across Pa. to shoot. The first local match of the year is Sunday. It should be interesting, I havn't shot since the Frozen Penguin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

(Lawrence County)

I've never shot IDPA, only USPSA... Maybe one of these days I'll give it a shot... New game, new rules, hopefully the same equipment... lol The Ruger P95 should do fine...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Mercer County)

If you want to start with an easier comp to get your hand eye coordination better try IPSC steel plate matches. no running around. you stand there and shoot 5 steel plates ranging from7 to 15 yds as fast as you can. Its fast paced and fun. The good ones (grandmasters) can go from the holster and hit all 5 plates in under 3 seconds. thats crazy fast.
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME