Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default stevens model 66

hi all im looking at an old stevens model 66 in poor i mean poor condition but the bore is ok the wood is worn like its been outside and the barrel is dirty/ possibly rust also the bolt is broken. im looking for a project rifle but donw know too much about these other than finding parts will be hard to do. what kind of value would you guys put on it and what kind of information does anyone have on this model. from what i have read n nice condition these sell for 50 to 100 dollars so this one would need to go cheap for me to buy. your input please
    A.T.F alcohol, tabacco, and firearms... who's bringing the chips?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: stevens model 66

anyone ever own one do they shoot ok? anything lol? its the first time i ever saw or even held one i think they also offered a buckhorn model 66

(Philadelphia County)

I havens seen a model 66, and there are none on GB, nor are any parts, So in my opinion, If it is free, get it and tinker,
    I can get used bolt action 22s for 75 bucks.
    So it is on you,,,,
    If you cant find the parts, what good is it except for a tomato spike!
    Peter.

I have shot a 66B, which I believe is basically the same thing but with target sights. Very nice, very simple gun. I've found that after shooting maybe 50 rounds the bolt sometimes gets hard to open. A bit of extra oil on the bolt basically solved that though. If its still in functional shape, I think you will like it. Only downside is it isn't grooved to accept a scope, which would be nice since it is pretty accurate.

(Lehigh County)

eocoolj the 66b is the buckhorn from what i have read on them the difference is the peep sight this is the "base" model that im looking at thank you for the info that may be how the bolt got broken on this one my offer so far is 5 dollars we will see how it goes

How is the bolt broken? I've never taken the bolt apart, and it looks like it might be a pain to do. Numrich has some parts for it, if you are really serious about getting it going. If you have to replace too much you might be fighting a losing battle though. Numrich lists a complete bolt assembly as $82.90, but they currently don't have any in stock. It might be hard to get a "value" rifle out of it at those kind of prices. Best bet may be if you can find another of the same rifle and cannabalize to make one complete rifle.

(Lehigh County)

i will keep that in mind the bolt is missing the handle or it was broken off and the cocking piece appears to be missing form what i could see in online photos. i put in the bid before i found out its hard to get parts lol thats not to say i dont get out bid lol but i figure if i can pick it up for under lets say 15 dollars and scour shows it gives me something to do with free time and if im lucky i can get it back together and camo'ed up for cheaper than it books and have some fun if not then if im lucky im only out the 5 dollars if i win the bid and cant get it together thats only a pack of smokes

(Lehigh County)

oh one more thing i forgot to mention whats left of the bolt is deffinatly jammmed in the reciever wont move in either direction so its deffinatly a project may or may not be able to be fixed

Well, if its just the bolt handle broken off, you can probably jerry-rig something up. If the cocking piece on the rear of the bolt is missing, you are in trouble. I go to college in the bethlehem area and am reasonably familiar with the gun if you'd like someone to take a look at it. I dont have access to the 66 i've used right now, though, so not sure if i'd be too great a help. Or you could post a couple pics.

PM me if you'd like.

[edit] in response to the jammed bolt, is it locked closed? Or does it open but you just cant get it out of the receiver. If it opens, make sure to pull the trigger when trying to pull it back and out of the receiver. Might be a stupid thing to say, but the 66 is the only bolt action I've dealt with and it took me a few minutes to figure that out. Maybe all bolt actions come apart that way?
    Last edited by eocoolj; January 20th, 2009 at 09:24 PM.

(Lehigh County)

i will keep that in mind if i end up with it thank you very much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast