Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Took a new shooter to the range today.

My son, Steve Jr, is home this weekend. He got a 2 year summer internship with a Gov Agency (one of the alphabet ones) and haven't had much chance to see him. Well, he brought home a female "friend" with him. Her name is Linda and she is from New Mexico.

Well, she has never shot a gun before and was all eager to hit the range. So, Steve Jr, Linda, my wife and I hit the range. Gave her some basic instruction, explained things to her and she was good to go. Actually shot quite well and loved shooting. As my wife said, I think she's hooked.

Started Linda off with a Ruger MKII but she quickly moved up to a S&W 6906 and finally over to a Beretta 92FS. Here she is with my son keeping a close eye.

Another pic of Linda and my 92FS. Have no idea what the guy in the background is doing

My son shooting my Sig P-220 and my wife to his right shooting a S&W 6906

Linda shooting bowling pins at 75yds with my Bushy. She thought this was a blast!

(York County)

cool, thats how people should become aware of firearms, in the correct setting, having fun and all doing it safely.

(Cambria County)

Congrats on getting a new shooter started! Maybe she'll be interested enough to keep on shooting and apply for a Concealed Carry Permit! (May our ranks grow)
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Philadelphia County)

I always particularly enjoy seeing more women enter the sport/hobby.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

That is awesome to bring a new shooter into the sport. Too often I see new shooters being taught by someone who is clueless as to how to handle a firearm. IE...go to the state game land ranges on the weekend and you will understand.

I sold my recently aquired FNP40 to a friend. We went to the range on Sunday. He did quite well for his first time out. I think that he will become a collector...probably not like me, but at least now I have another friend to go shooting with when he's in town.

(Bucks County)

Default New shooter...

My brother has wanted to join my son and me for a long time but with his type of work, something always got in the way of our plans. Finally he joined our Sunday shoot and now he is hooked. He bought a 9mm S&W and makes it an event to go and buy his ammo. It's nice to see him enjoy the sport. The range let him have 4 or 5 free shots with the S&W 500 and he was in shooter's heaven. Only a NASCAR race will cause him to miss our weekly shoot...Mike45

That's awesome that you brought in a new shooter. Like some of the others here, I"m so happy to see a new shooter come in, but especially a new woman shooter. I think it is such a big step, and most women that truly shoot, are quite well schooled in how to handle firearms and do so very safely. Thanks Steve, and keep up the good work.

(Montgomery County)

I have taken several new shooters over the years. I took one women who's ex kept violating the restraining order and threatening harm. And one time a group of girls from the office came as a group. They did not want to go to the range but since they always chose where we will go after work for our monthly 'Girls night out' they asked me to chose for a change.
    I chose the gun range. Thankfully the staff jumped in to help me.

Four of the six women that came that night still go and two now have carry permits. And the EX got shot by a cop a month later and the women now lives in Texas and has won two trophies so far.

I wish I could just get close to winning one. Just close.

(Cambria County)

Well, I think you deserve a trophy for getting her started in the first place!
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?