Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Baby Desert Eagle .40

I am looking for a holster of any kind, any ideas?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Baby Desert Eagle .40

Quote Originally Posted by michaelchica View Post
    I am looking for a holster of any kind, any ideas?
    Hello michaelchica,

Manufacturer recommends Uncle Mike's nylon holster's in Size 16.
    I wouldn't use this holster, especially if you purchased a steel frame rather than a polymer BDE, it's just too "top heavy", the weight of the steel grip + a loaded mag is too much, especially for the Uncle Mike's belt slide holster that they recommend. It flops about quite a bit when walking and rarely stays open adequately to permit 1 handed reholstering of the firearm.

Manufacturer also recommended Kramer holsters as stocking BDE leather, last I priced this was in the $160 range, as no local shops stocked it I was leary about spending that much for something I could not try in advance for fit.

Had a few Fobus designs intended for Glocks recommended, problem was that you had to loosen the retention screw to allow for it to fit at all and the retention was poor. This was due to the holster not being inletted properly for the BDE's slide release.

My eventual choice after several false starts?
    Don Hume leather holster model 721 intended for the Taurus 24/7 (#53-247-9, avail in brown or black, list $54) fits my 45 acp BDE perfectly. Very reasonably priced. Get the matching clip style mag pouch.

I was so impressed with this holster's fit and finish for the $$$ that I ended up buying 5 more for other firearms. Their holster for my Taurus mdl 85 snubnose is the best fitted and most comfortable holster I have ever had for any firearm, period.

hope this helps ...

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Luzerne County)

Cool Re: Baby Desert Eagle .40

I also have been looking for a reasonable priced holster to fit the all steel Baby Desert Eagle.....no real luck so far. Tried a few others at gunshows that SEEMED to work but not really. I am not sure if ANYONE makes a holster for the BDE. I will only holster my BDE or any of my other weapons in LEATHER. I believe the plastic/polymer holsters cause premature wear on the finish and the nylon or other material types just don't do it for me.....I also don't like plastic boots. I will try the one you suggest. PS, might be an oppertunity to find a niche market for BDE holsters. Thanks for the info

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Baby Desert Eagle holster choices

www.donhume.com

The 721 series of OWB pancake style holsters are available with a thumb break or open top.

The 726 is based upon the 721 but with a bit more cant to it, to make it easier to conceal larger frame / longer barrel firearms.

The 715 series are IWB, also available in thumb break or open top styles.

The thumb break straps have metal supports, so they dont become "floppy" with age. The open top styles also have metal supports built in, so 1 handed reholstering is not an issue.

Matching magazine holder would be the D 417, available as a clip/belt slide or paddle.

hope this helps ...
    Last edited by BCI Instructor; January 20th, 2009 at 01:08 AM.

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable