Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Person-to-Person Handgun Sale...

I'm currently in the Army and I purchased a pistol from a friend last year before I deployed to Iraq. I'm in Iraq now and when I get back I want to register my pistol. I have no paperwork for the pistol. My home station is at Ft. Carson, CO. I was young at the time, 20 actually. I was trying to be cool I guess, so I purchased this Hk USP .45 Compact. I'm 21 now so I want to do thing "legally". The person I purchased it from got out of the Army and I have no means of cantact with him. I'm getting out and i'm moving back to Chicago in October. Illinois has strict gun laws as it is. I don't want to go to the police and try to register it and I find out the pistol is stolen or used in a crime... What I'm asking is, if I try register it and it comes up stolen, they're going to confiscate it, huh? I mean, I have absolutely NO paperwork for it. NOTHING. What do I do? What should I do? Help!!!

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Person-to-Person Handgun Sale...

Well, you broke the law. Here in PA you can't register the pistol because there is no registry. If there was the registry would be against the law. There is no way to register it in PA. As to the laws in CO I don't have a clue.

Thank you for your service.

USNRET

Quote Originally Posted by kofee View Post
    I'm currently in the Army and I purchased a pistol from a friend last year before I deployed to Iraq. I'm in Iraq now and when I get back I want to register my pistol. I have no paperwork for the pistol. My home station is at Ft. Carson, CO. I was young at the time, 20 actually. I was trying to be cool I guess, so I purchased this Hk USP .45 Compact. I'm 21 now so I want to do thing "legally". The person I purchased it from got out of the Army and I have no means of cantact with him. I'm getting out and i'm moving back to Chicago in October. Illinois has strict gun laws as it is. I don't want to go to the police and try to register it and I find out the pistol is stolen or used in a crime... What I'm asking is, if I try register it and it comes up stolen, they're going to confiscate it, huh? I mean, I have absolutely NO paperwork for it. NOTHING. What do I do? What should I do? Help!!!
    USNRET '61-'81

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    Well, you broke the law....As to the laws in CO I don't have a clue.
    You've contradicted yourself. In Pa., the recipient in a private sale (not using a FFL) has broken no law, only the seller has. I don't have time to look up the laws for CO or IL right now, but I assume that IL requires the registration of any weapons brought into the state.

It is possible that the sale was legal, and the OP simply needs to find out the law for IL so he can comply when he arrives there.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by kofee View Post
    If your state MUST know about it, why don't you just say you purchased the piece while in Iraq? There are guys bringing home all sorts of shit. Otherwise, I'd stay out of trouble and keep my mouth shut.