Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Mini-14 Target Rifle - classification for competition?

Have a new Ruger Mini-14 Target Rifle with Harmonic Damper and thumbhole stock, and do not know what it's classifaction is for competition. Also, it came setup for a scope, but is there anyone who makes metal sights for it? Would like to compete with it, but don't know what class it falls in. Any insight would be appreciated.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Mini-14 Target Rifle - classification for competition?

Quote Originally Posted by john2a View Post
    Have a new Ruger Mini-14 Target Rifle with Harmonic Damper and thumbhole stock, and do not know what it's classifaction is for competition. Also, it came setup for a scope, but is there anyone who makes metal sights for it? Would like to compete with it, but don't know what class it falls in. Any insight would be appreciated.
    IF shooting in NRA Highpower competition you would need to shoot in Match Rifle cat.
    I believe Williams makes an adjustable rear sight for them.

Tim

(Lancaster County)

Thanks. What about the stock and front sight? Would I need to change to a Houge type stock and who make the front metal sight?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by john2a View Post
    Thanks. What about the stock and front sight? Would I need to change to a Houge type stock and who make the front metal sight?
    You wouldnt need to change the stock at all according to Da Rules if it isnt a M1A, M1 Garand or M16 A2 in standard issue appearance(service rifle class) then it falls into the Match rifle cat. basicly any shape style size is legal,As far as the front sight I dont know if anyone makes an aftermarket front sight for it,I assume its larger in dia. than the standard barrel ,If its thick enough you could cut a dovetail in it for a Lyman 17 globe ft. sight

Tim

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    You wouldnt need to change the stock at all according to Da Rules if it isnt a M1A, M1 Garand or M16 A2 in standard issue appearance(service rifle class) then it falls into the Match rifle cat. basicly any shape style size is legal,As far as the front sight I dont know if anyone makes an aftermarket front sight for it,I assume its larger in dia. than the standard barrel ,If its thick enough you could cut a dovetail in it for a Lyman 17 globe ft. sight

Tim
    I firgured this was the case, and your insight has been very helpful. The harmonic damper causes a problem, since it's designed as a screw for fine adjustsments. It actually works, since I have had it to the range and tracked different settings on it.
    Thanks again,
    John