Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Do you disclose you are carring concealed when you attend a gun show?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I don't want to break the rules.

11 40.74%
  • No way.

16 59.26%
    (Lehigh County)

Default Disclose weapon at gun show?

Do you disclose you are carrying concealed when you go to a gun show?
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Disclose weapon at gun show?

I wear mine, I know others that wear theirs.

(Berks County)

I think it's common knowledge that many people carry to a gun show. When people are shopping for accessories, magazines, etc. for their handguns at a show, they usually bring it with them to make sure whatever they're looking for is compatible with the weapon. If that means brandishing or presenting the weapon, then so be it. I've seen others do it, and I've done it myself.

However, if you're talking about declaring at the door for the purposes of the show organizers "securing" the breech of your weapon, then yes, I do declare when I enter. This is a topic which has lots of different opinions, and a variant of it has been discussed before:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...show-rant.html

Personally, it's my opinion that the show has rules, and the patrons of the show should follow the rules. All it takes is one incident to completely shut down these shows. If one were to enter a show with an undeclared weapon, then presenting it would be just plain dumb. Even the LEOs at these shows declare their weapons (although in their case, the breech/barrel is usually not secured).
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Yes, because when I'm asked if I'm carrying a weapon by the guy who attaches that plastic thingy to your firearm, theres always a cop standing right next to him looking me over to see if I might have a gun on me.

Sometimes I think that if I say no I'm not carrying, the police officer might want to pat me down anyway and then I would be caught lying. So, I always do disclose my weapon at gun shows.

Rand
    Last edited by dnar; April 5th, 2007 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Failed to mention something.

(Allegheny County)

I can't vote on this poll, I don't carry to the show. (PGCA in Pittsburgh)
    No loaded firearms. Their rules. I respect that.

If you have your gun and let them know, I believe you must unload it and put a zip tie through the action/barrel just like all the guns at the show. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Once you do that, how can you re-holster it? I'm not gonna carry it in my hand.

If you don't tell them you're carrying... well, I guess no one will know.

However, what if some knucklehead takes that handgun out to check the fit of a holster or get a quote for a trade from a vendor and accidentally puts a round through a table, the ceiling, or a bystander? Ooops doesn't cut it.
    I don't think the organizers are trying to infringe upon your rights, they just understand that accidents can happen, and in todays anti-gun world the risk is perhaps too great. I mean, they DID get tossed out of the Expo Mart due to an accidental discharge. God help us all if the round had killed the guy who was hit.

If I need to look for accessories, I carry the gun in a case and have it tagged at the door.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northumberland County)

I have given up my weapon in the past, but will not anymore, If they want me to leave, I will.

Interesting note though, At a smaller show in Bloomsburg, they were checking weapons, and the guy checking was a constable. I asked him if He wanted me to unload, and he asked if I had a LTCF, I said yes, and showed it to him. He looked it over and said have a nice day. I will say that I enjoyed that gun show a bit more than I would've otherwise because of the warm feeling I got from the constable.