Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Philadelphia County)

Default Most Reliable rifle, Thats not an AK

I was thinking, what would be the most reliable rifle out there, that is not an ak47. Example being, if the AK had never been created, what would have been used like the ak is used? I was thinking maybe the FAL?

It's not about the Russians, not about there line of guns at all, just the single most reliable weapon out there, pick it up pull the trigger and BANG. (thats not the AK of course)
    Last edited by FAL; January 15th, 2009 at 05:17 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Most Reliable rifle, Thats not an AK

I would say the M1 Garand.....
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Chester County)

Most bolt action rifles
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

(Lehigh County)

since you're asking what would be used instead of the AK had the AK never been invented, I would say SKS. The FAL is a fine design but it was a NATO weapon. The Russians would never have used it.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Philadelphia County)

Are you asking what would the Russians have used if the AK had never been invented?

-or-

Are you asking what would be considered the most reliable rifle if the AK was never invented?

If your answer is question 1, then I would say the SKS.

If your answer is question 2, then I would stand with the M1 Garand.
    And like stated already, most bolt action rifle will be very reliable as well.
    Last edited by RONNIE77; January 15th, 2009 at 05:15 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Allegheny County)

My AK (no longer own) that saw limited use had many more malfunctions than my AR (not one) ever has.

the internet is full of gross exagerations.

Quote Originally Posted by CDyer77 View Post
    Most bolt action rifles
    I agree.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by FAL View Post
    I was thinking, what would be the most reliable rifle out there, that is not an ak47. Example being, if the AK had never been created, what would have been used like the ak is used? I was thinking maybe the FAL?

It's not about the Russians, not about there line of guns at all, just the single most reliable weapon out there, pick it up pull the trigger and BANG. (thats not the AK of course)
    Oh Boy!!! These threads always crack me up.

The post above seems to insinuate that the AK 47 is the most reliable piece of junk out there.

Ever notice how everyone claiming that the AK is the most reliable weapon out there never actually trained with it and used it in combat. Any former Soviet soldiers out there want to chime in? Any Chinese?

Its always some guy that took it to the range and fired 1000 rounds through it without cleaning it. Big fucking deal.

Or somebody telling a story that they read in a book somewhere about a guy who said he heard that the vietcong used to bury them in the mud and then dig them up later and fire them at US troops.

Or somebody posting a youtube video of an AK firing a gazillion rounds without a hickup.

Yet I'd be willing to bet MOST civilian "AK47" owners out there never really put their weapon through "hard use" or "combat conditions".

And oddly enough, there is always the person that comes crawling out of the woodwork that personally witnessed the AK go tits up. Myself included. Yet those people are obviously "telling stories".

Then the thread immediately turns into an M16 bash session. Same deal. Someone will post a youtube video of some retards from a maintenance unit firing their M16s that they get to see once a year when they qualify and bitching about how they jam. We used to refer to these folks as "REMFs" or "Rear Echelon Mother Fuckers". Why, because they were worthless when it came to operating the M16. Could change a tire or drive a truck like a champ I bet. In the end, they're just pissed off because they got yanked from college or their job at mcdonalds to go across the world and live in a desert without playstation.

Remember, the military collects warm bodies from society in general. You have folks that have never fired a weapon in their life. You have people that barely know how to tie their boot laces. Window lickers, paste eaters. Get it? Yet these are the same dumbasses that complain about the M16 jamming. They're the same folks that complain because they still can't figure out how to get a 6 digit grid coordinate. For crying out loud I saw a first sergeant try to put the bolt in backwards. I'll bet he'll be along shortly to complain that the m16 is "too complicated". It's not too complicated, he just lacks the cranial capacity to operate it properly. It's not the weapons fault, its the jerk using it.

From my personal experience, I've seen M16s fired repeatedly until the barrels were glowing. This, after a day of crawling under concertina wire, through mud, and dragging it across rocks. When I was the gunner in the humvee mine use to get tossed in the back seat where it would sit all day long. Back then, we used to take the doors off the humvee so that we could jump in and out of the vehicle quickly and quietly. So after a day of collecting dust from the tank trails, it would be covered with a fine powder, inside and out. Yet it would still go bang when I pulled the trigger.

I must be crazy or exagerating.

Nineseven explained it pretty well. The AK was built with loose tollerances so it could be manufactured in crappy communist factories across the world, then handed to a fella that "really doesn't want to be there" and could really care less about guns and maintenance. Or handed to some guy in africa that's one generation away from swinging through the fucking trees.

The military doctrine of the country that developed the weapon was to have troops running out of BMPs firing the weapon on full auto while they ran. That's why the selector switch on the AK47 goes SAFE-AUTO-SEMI. Spray and pray, make it to cover, and hope that there's more of you than them.

Both weapons were designed for a different intended use. Period. Each weapon has its good points and it's bad points. I'm not anti AK47. I'm just sick of all the BS that surrounds it.

I put as much faith in the AK reliability stories as I do the M16 unreliability stories. In the end, they are just that. Stories.

So to answer the questions, what's the most reliable weapon out there that's not an AK? MINE! They always go bang when I want them to, and that's enough for me.

Rant over.

I'll be waiting for the thread on how the Dragonov is the "greatest sniper weapon in the world".

(Bucks County)

Again, a gross dramaticization of the argument. An AR need not be cleaned every night, not even in a combat situation.
    Really? Have you ever carried the AR in bad conditions like mud and rain or desert sand storms? The AR would be great in my opinion if they would change it to a gas piston design. That tiny gas tube just isn't conducive to reliability in my opinion.
    Last edited by meanmotorscooter; January 16th, 2009 at 11:34 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Most bolt action rifles, and doubles used for dagerous game hunting are more reliable than anything else out there including AK's from what I've seen and read.

If you are talking about semi-auto rifles, Browning BAR's and M1/M14's seem to be reliable.
    Last edited by 625; January 16th, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast