Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Most Reliable rifle, Thats not an AK

I was thinking, what would be the most reliable rifle out there, that is not an ak47. Example being, if the AK had never been created, what would have been used like the ak is used? I was thinking maybe the FAL?

It's not about the Russians, not about there line of guns at all, just the single most reliable weapon out there, pick it up pull the trigger and BANG. (thats not the AK of course)
    Last edited by FAL; January 15th, 2009 at 05:17 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Most Reliable rifle, Thats not an AK

I would say the M1 Garand.....
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Chester County)

Most bolt action rifles
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

(Lehigh County)

since you're asking what would be used instead of the AK had the AK never been invented, I would say SKS. The FAL is a fine design but it was a NATO weapon. The Russians would never have used it.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by CDyer77 View Post
    Most bolt action rifles
    I agree.

(Philadelphia County)

Are you asking what would the Russians have used if the AK had never been invented?

-or-

Are you asking what would be considered the most reliable rifle if the AK was never invented?

If your answer is question 1, then I would say the SKS.

If your answer is question 2, then I would stand with the M1 Garand.
    And like stated already, most bolt action rifle will be very reliable as well.
    Last edited by RONNIE77; January 15th, 2009 at 05:15 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Allegheny County)

My AK (no longer own) that saw limited use had many more malfunctions than my AR (not one) ever has.

the internet is full of gross exagerations.

(Philadelphia County)

If the AK47 was not invented, The AK 48.
    SKS/M1 Garand
    Or just about ant bolt.
    Peter

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    My AK (no longer own) that saw limited use had many more malfunctions than my AR (not one) ever has.

the internet is full of gross exagerations.
    Your one example is much more reliable than thousands of accounts to the contrary.

The AK's loose tolerances, while resulting is somewhat reduced accuracy, allow for the rifle platform to perform flawlessly in pretty much any condition. If we were to compare the AK and the AR to pistols, the AR would be a 1911: accurate, but prone to failure due to tighter lockup. The AK would be a Glock: accurate enough for its intended application and functional in the worst possible (aka realistic) combat conditions.

There is a reason I own a Glock for a carry piece and an AK for the token "assault rifle" in my collection, because I can rely on them 100% of the time.

The only reason the AR is still in service is because Colt has a contract with the American Governent till... 2010 or 2020 (somewhere around there). There are plenty of other much better alternatives to the AR platform (See HK 416 or Robinson XCR) but because of bullshit Government bureaucracy, we are locked into a joke of a rifle platform which more resembles a Mr. Potato head with all of its ridiculous accessories than an honest-to-god ultra reliable rifle platform like the AK.

If you cant tell, I really dont like the AR platform
    Last edited by Ophidian; January 15th, 2009 at 06:24 PM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    Your one example is much more reliable than thousands of accounts to the contrary.

The AK's loose tolerances, while resulting is somewhat reduced accuracy, allow for the rifle platform to perform flawlessly in pretty much any condition. If we were to compare the AK and the AR to pistols, the AR would be a 1911: accurate, but prone to failure due to tighter lockup. The AK would be a Glock: accurate enough for its intended application and functional in the worst possible (aka realistic) combat conditions.

There is a reason I own a Glock for a carry piece and an AK for the token "assault rifle" in my collection, because I can rely on them 100% of the time.
    That's not quite correct. The AK was designed for a largely untrained conscript army, the Glock was designed and marketed to cops. We'll call this group A.

The AR rifle and the 1911 were designed for the US military, a highly trained military force that has a very detailed and insistent dogma regarding weapon maintenance an are most often used by competition shooters, who are also skilled and can maintain their weapons. We’ll call this group B.

So the AK and Glock were made for people like those found in group A, often poorly trained, lacking weapon knowledge and who have the inability or a lack of intent to properly maintain their firearms. These are guns that any idiot can use and not worry about having to clean or maintain it.

The AR and 1911 were made for people such as can be found in group B, shooters that know how to properly run and clean a weapon.

AR's are prone to failure when the user doesn't know how to maintain one. 1911's are prone to failure when the user doesn't know how to maintain one, or thinks he's a gunsmith and tries to "customize" his piece, or when the company making the gun in question has poor QA or made ill conceived changes to the design (let 30 different companies make Glocks and see how many different brands suck and don’t run right). It has nothing to do with tighter lockup. Les Baer 1911’s are generally the tightest of the bunch, they don't fail due to it. Most of the custom competition guns are tighter than any stock 1911, they often run many thousands of rounds per year, sometimes without cleaning, yet also without failure due to the tightness of the gun. Aside from parts failure, the most problems I hear about come from worn springs in the magazine or the gun...but they tend to get worn when one shoots more rounds in a year than most shooters probably will in a lifetime.

For the record, I don't compete, I don't own an AR, I’ve owned and like the AK and I appreciate the Glock. I do and have owned 1911's and carry an STI 2011. When thinking about the durability of a firearm, you cannot exclude determining how the average user in your data handles and treats their weapon, or what they actually know about it.

User influence aside, on a mechanical level subjected to the environment alone, after the AK Id say the FAL (look up Ol' Dirty from Texas on the FAL Files as an example or all of the FAL's in military service throughout history) or the G3 for autoloaders.
    Last edited by NineseveN; January 15th, 2009 at 06:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast