Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Question about ACT 235??

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Hi. I just want to be sure that I'm understanding you here. Are you saying that one must be certified to OC? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying (and if so I apologize) but I'm not aware of any certification one must have in order to OC here in PA.
    He's talking about pepper spray. OC (Oleoresin Capsicum)
    Bazinga

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF4i View Post
    He's talking about pepper spray. OC (Oleoresin Capsicum)
    Oh! lol... Okay... Thanks...

I'm just going to go hide in a corner somewhere for a few days.

Oh! lol... Okay... Thanks...

I'm just going to go hide in a corner somewhere for a few days.
    It's ok, a lot of people don't know that. I never called it that until I trained with it.
    Bazinga

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    And we all know how well the average LEO seems to know the laws.

I'd ask a LAWYER about it, not a LEO.
    Since the Trooper is going to be the one locking your ass up for the violation I would most certainly take his unheeded advice.

(Lehigh County)

Hi. I just want to be sure that I'm understanding you here. Are you saying that one must be certified to OC? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying (and if so I apologize) but I'm not aware of any certification one must have in order to OC here in PA.

Hey Harry,

When I suggested to the OP to carry OC, I was referring to Oleoresin Capsicum or OC spray, not open carry (sorry if my statement was confusing)

That's why I suggested to the OP about getting certified to carry and use OC spray if needed.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

AG

(Lebanon County)

My husband has worked for several security companies over the years doing PT work. Some of the jobs are armed and some are not (he worked for a company that had several contracts so they would send him to different job locations all the time; would vary from week to week or day to day). If a job location was unarmed as specified by the client he was NOT allowed to carry anything except what the contract with the client specified even though he's licensed (and is in fact ACT 235 cert on top of that). This was the policy of the employer and I am sure it is in part because of the contract with the clients.

As far as legal vs. illegal I think the issue you run into there is the policy of the location where you're working. If it's private property and they don't allow firearms and you've been informed of this and you do it anyway... well...I'm sure someone already mentioned this. IANAL of course.

unless the laws have changed, check this out. A full time police office in PA, while working a part time security gig, must be act 235 cert. Why? Because he is not working as a police officer but as a security officer. Also, when I took 235, it was explicitly stated and reinforced that under the then current law, a police officer working as a security guard could only act and perform duties as a security guard.

Now my point is, if a sworn full time police officer has to have act 235 to work armed security, do ya think having a LTCF while working unarmed security detail would in any way shape form or fashion be legitimate?

You open yourself up to civil liabiltiy and criminal charges. I wouldn't carry CC or OC while working security unless the contract called for that and you were properly licensed.

My nickle again.

I know several of you bash law enforcement officers for various reasons but ahh, no one is perfect. I know taking liberty away is a huge responsibility and I wish it was impressed upon new officers more heavily.

Public service work is the only sector of work where the least educated and experienced face the hardest cases and situations!!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Also, when I took 235, it was explicitly stated and reinforced that under the then current law, a police officer working as a security guard could only act and perform duties as a security guard.
    Pittsburgh Police work special details in uniform when off duty as authorized by the Police Department. They still have full arrest powers and are paid by the event organizers. They charge the event organizers $35 an hour. Yes they also are required to have ACT235.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Luzerne County)

Sorry, a police officers powers and authority does not change because he is working security. A police officer is a police officer is a police officer.

It is up to the employer if they want the officer to have Act 235, since Act 120 supercedes anything that Act 235 has, which is why a police officer can get a waiver.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; January 21st, 2009 at 02:45 AM.

(Delaware County)

Okay folks lets keep it clear and as simple as possible first off he mentioned that he used the whole security job as a example its not a real life situation for him but here it is in clear terms first as long as your employer has no on the job restrictions on carrying a fire arm on the job you ARE allowed to carry concealed or open on the job and protect your self at all times and you are by all means with in the law also the only time you will have to conceal carry is your employers has that stated as a rule otherwise you may open carry lets remember PA is a complete open carry state the only place you need a permit to open carry is city's of first class like my city Philadelphia in order to open carry in Philly you must have a conceal carry permit , I manage a industrial tire company here in Philly and I carry the whole day mostly open all my clients and coworkers know this infact one of my employees carries as well and our company allows us to do so LEO'S have asked me many times does your company allow you to carry I blontly reply every time well SIR that is none f your concerns that's between my employer and I but what can tell you SIR is that im carrying with in the spectrum of the law most times with that they ask what are some kind of retired lawer and I say right back no but I don't just read about the gun laws I learn them and i can asure you the look on there face is one of anger but only because they know there and then that your no dummy and they have no choice but to leave be .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12