Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default CC hip or shoulder?

I just got my LTCF today. I was wondering where most ppl preferred to carry (on their person). I am thinking about a shoulder type holster and was wondering what I should be looking for based on others experiences (comfort, concealment, price).

Any advice?

Thanks

(Cambria County)

Default Re: CC hip or shoulder?

Depends on the gun. I carry my LCP clipped inside the front pocket of my jeans. When i carry the full size i usually use the Galco 3 slot OWB holster, but when i really wanna conceal i use an IWB holster...I carry both at about 4:00 or so. the IWB one is slightly more comfy when im driving or sitting though.

(Chester County)

If you go with the shoulder rig. I found good results with ones that clip to the belt keeps them secured. I have a cheap uncle mike's rig that I had retired until I discovered my Judge fit in it very well. I use it to carry that while I carry something else on my belt. Even with that large of a weapon it disappears under a loose flannel shirt. When it comes to holster's I like gun shows because I can handle and if the guy is nice enough try on some holsters before I buy one. Whatever rig you buy as long as you dress for CC it is all about comfort.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ja86son View Post
    Depends on the gun. I carry my LCP clipped inside the front pocket of my jeans. When i carry the full size i usually use the Galco 3 slot OWB holster, but when i really wanna conceal i use an IWB holster...I carry both at about 4:00 or so. the IWB one is slightly more comfy when im driving or sitting though.

Translation please, IWB and OWB?

IWB= inside the waist band OWB= outside the waist band

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the help and info.

Please consider two things before you make your choice. First, you will more than likely muzzle yourself putting the firearm in the shoulder rig, and secondly, it is very difficult to put a firearm back into a shoulder rig with one hand. I am not trying to talk you out of it, but wanted to make sure you considered both of those things prior to spending cash on something.
    Jules

(Delaware County)

Welcome to the forum and to the carry community.

IMO a should holster is really a specialized method of carry. It would not be my first choice for many circumstances BUT I do think that it has its place. I would also suggest that shoulder holster carry is NOT for a rookie and I do not mean that in any negative way what so ever. Also I would say that shoulder holster carry should not be your only means of carry.

I know that some will probably disagree but I have generally had very little luck with cheap holsters. However I am not suggesting that you must purchase a $100 holster in order to be happy. I own several handguns that I have carried at one time or the other. As a result I own even more holsters. Many were mistakes! I am slowly learning to not do the impulse buy. Invest in quality and generally you will be pleased.

IMO each method of carry has its strengths and weaknesses. Things such as handgun make & model, your build, your dress, season of the year, etc. come into play in selecting the method of carry which will work best.

I would suggest that if you post some more details the members her would be happy to share ideas and suggestions with you.

(Venango County)

Size and weight of gun, your body shape and your experience in handling firearms all play a role.

The larger, heavier or bulkier guns are sometimes better in a shoulder holster especially if you have become a little round in the middle.

As mentioned sweeping can be a problem as well as draw may be slowed down.

Advantages?

In your vehicle, it is easier to get to the weapon (I have a cross draw vertical holster) and it doesn't get tangled into the seatbelt connecters etc.

If you need to use a restroom, your gun can stay with you and not be visible to anyone. No having to debelt or unclip it and place it elsewhere in the stall. Although it can sometimes be difficult to reattach to the belt afterwards.

I have larger framed revolvers so for CC the vertical holsters work pretty well.

If I ever get the carry gun of my dreams, then I would probably get some type of OWB set-up.

Hope this helps.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Body type has a lot to do with the choice. Large chest and short powerful arms will make shoulder carry a problem, a friend had that problem. The norm for me is the small of the back owb. grip up.
    Last edited by phill; January 16th, 2009 at 12:53 PM.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast