Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Non magnum calibers vs bear?

maybe always head shot if you are not carrying an magnum caliber!!

(Lebanon County)

uuummm...

let me offer my thoughts on this since I virtually always have a sidearm on me while walking around the hunting property; my MINIMUM is a blued Ruger Security Six w/ 4" barrel (older DA .357 magnum revolver) loaded with Federal CastCore 180gr hardened flat-tipped leadheads; this is being superceded by a stainless Ruger Blackhawk w/ 6.5" barrel in .357 mag with the same load; if I feel that this choice is somewhat heavy and cumbersome then I'll use my Uberti 1873 Colt SAA clone w/ 4.75" barrel in .45 Colt loaded with Remington 225gr lead semiwadcutter (solid leadhead for penetration);

any way you slice it, you need penetration; there is no magic bullet in any caliber that is a proven bear stopper 100% of the time, but I like heavy and solid projectiles for penetration; if it were feasible, I would opt for a Mossberg 500 12 ga 'Cruiser' model loaded with Brenneke KO slugs which are hardened and offer deeper penetration than typical 'pumpkin ball' forster style slugs

(Delaware County)

(Wayne County)

I'd save your money and use what you have unless you were planning on getting the .44 anyway. I don't know of any bear alive in PA that could withstand the contents of your XD. If it was a brown, I'd have to rethink that. If you're hiking 20+ miles, a full size anything is gonna feel like an anchor. Or worse, it'll be so heavy that you'll carry it in your backpack where it won't be accessible when you need it.

I usually carry a mid-size 9mm in a fanny pack (I prefer to call it my man-purse) every where I go. Yes, it is not as accessible as if it were on my hip, but if there's even a remote possibility that I'm uncomfortable, that's where it goes. I have it set up that I can still reach it in short order. The best thing is, when you're hiking, you almost don't look too dorky w/ a fanny pack! Meets the requirements of the National Park if you have your LTCF if you do day hikes on the Appalachian Trail or spend any time up along the Delaware River around Bushkill.

A couple words of caution since we most likely share some of the same stomping grounds. A good buddy of mine and his wife were followed by a 200-250 lb black bear for over two miles up around Egypt Meadows off the Promised Land exit in western Pike Co. about 3 years ago. This is very definitely predatory behavior. If you see anything like this, make a hasty retreat.

Also, if you hike around Tobyhanna/Gouldsboro State Parks, caution on the Red trail connecting the parks north of the Army Depot. In the past I've found someone baiting the area with cans of sardines.

Lastly, keep your head up at all times if your near a blueberry patch between July to October.

Safe travels!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Northampton County)

How about picking up a used 12-gauge pump-action for $100 or so and eliminate all doubt?
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lebanon County)

I'm going to addendum my original answer with this...

if LCTF & CCW are possible considerations, then look toward a sturdy steel framed .357 mag snubby or shorter barreled specimen like a Ruger SP101; if your pants fit a bit loose, then you could CCW snug against your body in an IWB holster and you still have magnum firepower at hand;

go for something like Federal Castcore 180's or anybody's 158gr semijacketed hollowpoint load that offers penetration; another load to consider is Mastercast's 158gr semiwadcutter leadhead which is a slightly lighter load, but the lead is hardened and will offer good penetration www.mastercast.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12