Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Firearms and Insurance Policy question

Hey guys,

I'm listing my firearms so they are covered under my Insurance policy. I didn't know I had to have them listed separately from my other items. Anyway, what questions should I ask and is there a certain type of policy or coverage I should ask for? Basically I don't want to be screwed out of all my money if someone would steal my guns. I would want cash for the declared value of each gun, which I'm listing for the insurance agent.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Firearms and Insurance Policy question

Hello-

I have State Farm renters insurance. I only had to disclose the total value of my firearms for the policy, not the inventory. BUT, for your records you should have detailed information/bill of sale of each of your firearms that you want covered should they need to be replaced.
    "You want more gun control? Use both hands."

Get someone else other than state farm. I was burglarized three years ago and I've had to hire a lawyer and 5k spent so far trying to get my loss covered by those sorry fuckers, state farm. They are also the same company who has been sued for their very poor handling of Katrina victims and this past seasons hurricans on TX. I highly recommend that no one ever uses state farm for any type of insurance!

(Allegheny County)

When it comes to paying a claim, I think all insurance companies suck, or try to find a way out of paying. I've heard of people having problems with Erie, and Progressive also.

The OP was asking about what he should need to have his firearms covered. I only brought my insurance carrier up because that's the only one I've had experience with. Other carriers' policies may be different.

You are correct sir. I do apologize for my rant but losing $68,000.00 dollars worth of personal property, fully insured under home owners policy, well, ya kind of get a little bent out of shape when you hear the Insurance Company's name who is jerking you around!!! LOL

I take pictures, copy original reciepts, and give them to my Insurer with a specific rider to cover at replacement cost, not depreciated value. Also, most policy's only cover firearms up to a certain amount, anywhere from $1,000.00 to $2,500.00. I had to pay for an additional policy to cover firearms because of their value and the number of firearms I had far exceeded the basic policy.

(Allegheny County)

No big deal, and I understand. It's rather unfortunate.

It is. To be honest, the criminals, who were never caught, stole...in some weird way, I can accept what a criminal does but the insurance company...man, they really screw ya. I've never been made to feel more like a low life in my life except by their investigators and claims handlers. I can only imagine what victims of sexual assault feel like especially hearing about being victimized by the system is worse than the actual crime.

I do urge you and others, if possible, to use another insurer and boycott State Farm. No one should be treated the way I was and still am. They understand money, nothing else!!!

(Northampton County)

I have Erie Insurance. I agree most if not all insurance companies are scum bags. You pay out the ass for coverage, and God forbid you have to use it and they nickle and dime their way out of having to give you the amount you're covered for. So I can have it in my policy that they will pay me for declared value or purchase price of my firearms? Just trying to not get screwed if something were to happen. I already documented with pictures all the guns plus serials. I have receipts for most of them, but not all. I'm not good with keeping receipts.

(Allegheny County)

Good question, I'll dig out my paperwork to find out the specifics.

(Chester County)

Another State Farmer here. I noticed a list of declined options on my policy and one of them was firearms in excess of $2500. I never actually declined it, but I guess because didn't specifically ask for it, they list it as declined. I called to see what was needed and they gave me ranges for the total value, like $2,500-$5,000, $5,000 - $10,000 etc (those probably are inaccurate, it was long ago and I forget) and told me I should (not must) keep a record of all serial numbers, models, price paid etc. I gave them a dollar amount well over what I had at the time knowing how guns breed, and they added the extra coverage to my policy. I don't think it added even $20 per year to my premiums. While your at it, make sure you check out your computer and jewelry coverage too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast