Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default What's your favorite hunting knife.

For whatever reason, my forefathers have always bought Case XX knives. I remember once when I was a young lad sitting around a blazing fire toasting marshmallows cooked on a skewer whittled with a Case XX knife, I was foolish enough to question the elders as to why they always bought Case XX, not Buck or any of the other well known brands. I was told that it's because they're the best, plain and simple, now eat your marshmallow.

I've been the proud owner of my great grandfather's Case XX for 30+ years, and can attest to their quality. It's nothing fancy, just a 5" blade and a leather wrapped handle, but it stays razor sharp with just a few strokes on the whetting stone. The knife is probably over 100 years old by now, and I will continue a 5 generation tradition by giving it to my son when he gets his first buck, but I was looking at it this morning and it got me to wondering what you guys and gals carry in the field and if there's a "best, plain and simple" knife in your families.

(Erie County)

Default Re: What's your favorite hunting knife.

Schrade Old Timer here. I carried one of the sharpfinger models for close to 20 years before I lost it. I found a Mountain Model locally to replace it and it works ok but I really miss the smaller model. Now I'm needing to look for a new line perhaps because Schrade no longer makes any of these. The rights were bought by Taylor Brands back in '04 and all these knives are made in China.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

(Jefferson County)

Mine is a handmade knife that a friend/former coworker/distant relative(through Stonewall Jackson) had made for me. The bladesmith who made it is from Hillsboro or Frankford, WV and also makes the sheathes too. The sheath is from my friend's Redwing boot. I used to razz my friend Pete about his preferred Redwings, ...I being a Carolina boot guy.

I'm not sure about the steel's grade, its not the hardest out there, but it sharpens beyond a razor blade. The handle is from one of my friend's bucks that he got with his muzzleloader. The base of the horn/antler is buffed smooth and has a bear etched into it.

RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Not the exact same topic but close....I like buck knives but I also have a canadian belt knife and that design is wonderfully useful and light.

http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/40...-dressing.html

(Blair County)

I carry a custom Grove fixed 4" drop point full tang antler "provided by me" handle. Cryo treated blade holds an edge for a long time even after jointing legs and head caping.

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Mine is a handmade knife that a friend/former coworker/distant relative(through Stonewall Jackson) had made for me. The bladesmith who made it is from Hillsboro or Frankford, WV and also makes the sheathes too. The sheath is from my friend's Redwing boot. I used to razz my friend Pete about his preferred Redwings, ...I being a Carolina boot guy.

I'm not sure about the steel's grade, its not the hardest out there, but it sharpens beyond a razor blade. The handle is from one of my friend's bucks that he got with his muzzleloader. The base of the horn/antler is buffed smooth and has a bear etched into it.

That is a beauty! I would think a deer would be proud to be gutted by that knife.

(Columbia County)

At the moment my favorite is a alaskan ulu with a 6" blade. Odd?? Yep, but, its SHARP! and fleshing goes much faster than a one handled scraper.
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(Fayette County)

I don't have any pictures right now but the one I have carried the last 3-4 years is one made by a friend of mine. Buffalo horn handle, hand pounded Damascus blade (4" long), and homemade leather sheath with neck lanyard.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

I have used an "Outdoor Edge" Whitetail Skinner for some time...but I lost the damn thing. It has a "T" handle like a set of brass knuckles, a gut hook, and was easily hammered through any pelvis I have encountered. I sure miss it.
    Jules

(Lancaster County)

my favorites probably my big old buck nighthawk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast