Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Weatherby rifles?

Does anyone know if Weatherby Vanguard rifles are made in the USA?
    Or which country they are made? And how is this rifle as compared to some others like Browning,Kimber and so on?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Weatherby rifles?

They are made in Japan by Howa*. Howa also makes their own 1500 series rifles, they made/make the Mossberg 1500 and the S&W 1500 rifles among others.

They are good guns. They've been making them much longer than Kimber. They are comparable to the low to upper/mid level Rem 700's. Weatherby does use their own barrels, but the action and trigger group is Howa.

*Howa rifles are manufactured by Howa Machinery, LTD in Japan.
    Last edited by knight0334; January 13th, 2009 at 02:35 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

The old weatherby vanguard rifles were much better than the newer offerings. Either way, they're not a bad rifle and fairly accurate. Their triggers can be pretty sloppy, and even with alot of work, they're still not as nice as a tuned up Remington 700 trigger. Well the old Remington 700 triggers, the new X-Mark triggers are kind of hit and miss, some of them tune very well, and others you just can't quite get them to be how you want them to.

I have not shot a Kimber rifle, but have heard that they're very nice, but I can't really make a comparison there. I have shot plenty of browning A bolts, and they're not as smooth and don't have as many features as the brownings. I haven't sat down with any of these rifles and tried to tune a load to them, so it's kind of hard to say a whole lot in terms of accuracy. With factory ammunition, my buddy's old weatherby vanguard in .300 winmag is a 1 moa rifle, or just a little less. We haven't tried to work up a load for it, but it would obviously probably shoot a little better groups. My other friend's browning A bolt that he'd done ALOT of load workup with in .270 WSM will shoot about .5 moa. I would say with handloads, they'd be pretty close in terms of accuracy. I still can't get used to the 60 degree bolt throw on the brownings, lol, but it is nice.

(Delaware County)

Am torn between the weatherby vanguard SS and the browning A-bolt white gold medallion. Seeing the weatherby is now made in Japan kind of makes me turn away,my friend has an older one which was made here and it's an awsome rifle. The browning is about 3-4 months behind in production. Can't make up my mind.

I don't know exactly what the prices are right now for the model of Vanguard that you're looking at. I know they have a Sporter SS, and a synthetic SS, and their prices are different. So it's kind of hard for me to know know what your price range in. I know what Browning A Bolt white medallions cost, though and they're pretty expensive. Is there a particular budget that you're trying to stick with on this rifle? What do you intend on using this rifle for?

The white medallions are beautiful rifles and to be honest, I probably wouldn't want to be dragging one through the woods. The wood is graded and beautiful as is the finish, banging it around on rests, tree stands, and branches scratching it would really hurt my feelings on a rifle that cost that much. If you could be really careful with it or mostly were just using it for mostly target shooting or a bench rifle, then that would preserve it's beautiful. If you don't mind banging up a rifle that beautiful in the woods, lol, you're a bigger man than I am. If you do intend to take it in the woods, you might want to consider a different model and it might save you some money.

P.S. I didn't know if you were aware of this, but the white gold medallions are glass bedded and I believe hand chambered, so nice features.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; January 13th, 2009 at 04:14 PM.

(York County)

I owned a Vanguard, and its an ok deer gun for the money. Everything on the rifle is cheap though, the blue on the barrel isn't that great, oil is needed very often, the bolt would leave brass shavings from the case, the stock was very cheaply made, and the the trigger had some horrible creeps. But it would do its guarantee of 3 shots 1.5 MOA or better, but if you have the $$ to get something better I would say to do so, especially the gold medallion
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Montgomery County)

I like my Vanguard, just changed the trigger for a drop in Timney, and a hogue Overmolded full pillar bedded stock, and it'll shoot sub moa all day long, and my total investment is under $650. Throw a Leupold Vari-X III and it's just about the cost of the stock Browning without optics. It's a practical rifle and works great for me, and the price didnt break the bank, I spent that on the LWRC AR15, with the ACOG sight, lol.

(Bedford County)

Just a side note:

The Browning is also made in Japan. Maybe you knew that.

For a lower dollar rifle I like the Savage. I also really like the Remington SPS. Buy a Remington and then install a Timney trigger...it would be a really good rifle.

(Delaware County)

The two rifles I stated were because I am looking for the Stainless with the wood stock, I don't like the look of the synthetic stocks on rifles, IMHO the wood gives a rifle character. Not to many manufactors make the two together. I only found remington 700, weatherby, browning make this look that I want.

(Allegheny County)

Just to throw my $0.02 in ... I have an "older" model vanguard that I use(d) for hunting. It's a great rifle that shoots well. Now, I'm not any kind of precision shooter or anything, but it definitely gets the job done.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast