Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Two questions

(Washington County)

Default Two questions

1) What is preemption?

2) What is considered concealed? If it is covered by an inch by a jacket, etc.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Two questions

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyf22 View Post
    1) What is preemption?

http://search.pafoa.org/?q=what+is+preemption

Concealed means concealed. (not being smart in this one, no one knows you have it but you.)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    http://search.pafoa.org/?q=what+is+preemption[/url]

Concealed means concealed. (not being smart in this one, no one knows you have it but you.)
    No, I don't think that's what he's getting at.

I can see where some could consider a handgun that is partly covered as "concealed", or an "attempt to conceal".

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't have a LTCF, you'd do good to be sure that it's completely in the open.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    No, I don't think that's what he's getting at.

I can see where some could consider a handgun that is partly covered as "concealed", or an "attempt to conceal".

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't have a LTCF, you'd do good to be sure that it's completely in the open.
    I see your point, I framed it from my perspective. EM is right. If your aim is to err on the side of unconcealed (OC), be certain that any setup you use is far from being considered concealed.

From the other perspective, CC should be the perfect balance of access and stealth.

(Luzerne County)

I will try to answer as simply as possible.

1) What is preemption?
    Preemption is a condition where the law of a larger jurisdiction trumps the law of a smaller jurisdiction, even if the smaller jurisdiction’s law is more restrictive. Normally, when you are subject to the laws of multiple jurisdictions (i.e., federal, state, and municipal), you must abide by all of them including the most restrictive.

In the context of this site, most all references to preemption refer to 18 Pa.C.S. § 6120, which is a state (i.e., the larger jurisdiction) law that prohibits any county, municipality, or township (i.e., the smaller jurisdiction) from regulating the lawful ownership, possession, transfer, or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components. This is commonly referred to as the preemption statute because it makes all of the state laws that regulate what is listed preempt any municipal laws that may be more restrictive, thereby nullifying them.

As far as I know, the law regards “concealed” as any manner that makes it likely that a reasonable person would not know you are carrying a firearm through normal observation. A holster in plain view would not conceal the firearm if it is readily identifiable as a firearm holster. Having the grip of the firearm sticking out of your waistband is not considered concealed since a reasonable person can still see that it is a firearm that is in your waistband. The borderline between openly carrying and concealed carrying is one of those gray areas that can only really be fully defined by case law. In general, however, if you ask yourself if anyone just seeing you would readily know that you are carrying a firearm, and the answer is no, then you are carrying concealed. The size of the safety margin you want for yourself in this gray area is up to you.

I apologize if these answers ended up being not that simple, but unfortunately, that is how the law works.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCWohlschlag View Post
    I will try to answer as simply as possible.
    I apologize if these answers ended up being not that simple, but unfortunately, that is how the law works.
    That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, man. Thanks so much for the info.

Rep sent.
    Last edited by hiflyf22; January 13th, 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Rep sent

(Washington County)

Okay, so along with the preemption thing I noticed something today. Around where I live, Beaver Falls, PA, there is a sign posted in White Township alongside a road that states that there are to be no firearms fired within township limits. Sorry I couldn't find the actual wording online Does this mean that when a person fires a firearm in self defense that they're in violation of this law?

Is this an example of preemption?

(Northampton County)

No townships may regulate the discharge of firearms however in that scenario Self defense is a justifiable defense provided you can prove it. Just like with killing someone in self defense; you still have committed murder so you can still be charged, it then falls upon you to prove that it was a clear case of self defense. The same principal works with the ordinances on the discharging of firearms