Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Outdoor range prep

Hey there guys and gals,
    What, if any, additional prep should be completed on a firearm prior to shooting at outdoor ranges during these colder months?
    I was at the range with my son last week and had several failures to eject and a stove pipe with two firearms that I've never had an issue with. Same firearm, same ammo, just in MUCH colder tempatures.
    Would you identify tempature as a typical cause? Normal? If so, how would/do you shoot outside?
    Thanks
    Never stop fighting for what you believe is right. Fight until Hell freezes over and then fight on the ice!

(Centre County)

Default Re: Outdoor range prep

If a semi-auto clean it before you go. You want to clean off any oil and/or grease, especially on the slide bearing surfaces. Then oil with a VERY light oil (sewing machine oil or REM Oil). Thicker oil will thicken even more which will slow everything down which then will cause other problems. I would even suggest cleaning up a revolver of any excess oil/grease. Semi-auto center fire rifles could be wiped of excess oils. Semi-auto 22's again should be cleaned up good prior to shooting.

After shooting, if it has been very cold, bring them in; condensation will probably form so you will want to thoroughly clean them to insure that there is no moisture left behind in cracks and crevices that could start the corrosion process.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Both were semi-auto's, one rifle and one handgun. Each were cleaned the night before going to the range.
    Never stop fighting for what you believe is right. Fight until Hell freezes over and then fight on the ice!

(Allegheny County)

Thats crazy!
    Cleaned and properly lubed/maintained firearm's should never fail in temps above zero when used with properly stored factory ammo.

I have never had a FTF/FTE in any of my pistols, rifles, or shotguns, clean or dirty, lubed or not, while outside for hours, in the low teens, and even in the single digits. Am I the only one?
    Toujours prêt

(Blair County)

By the way dont forget to take a sheet or something in case the bench has snow on it. I also take a towel and hand warmers.

(York County)

The temp was around 18-20, and there was a slight breeze....especially at the range. But I never thought it would have effected performance.
    I have a mat that I put over the shoot bench....there wasn't any snow or rain this day.
    Thanks for the comments. I too thought it was a bazarre occurence.