Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default new gun or reloading kit???

ive been saving up for a M&P. then i just thought about getting a reloading kit because i thought about how much shooting i would be doing or how you say "want to be doing". then today i shot my dads .357 gp-100 which i fell in love with. to boot i got a night vision monocular that dont work worth a crap for christmas that i plan on taking back and getting approx. $300...so my question is should i forget about the reloading kit and buy the m&p. or buy the kit and try to buy the gp-100 from my dad with the rest of the money left over...very tricky question whats the smarter move???

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: new gun or reloading kit???

SHort term gun addiction----- BUy gun and get fix.
    Long term, Get the reloader, 50 rounds reloaded will cost you about 6 bucks.
    So in time, 100 boxes of ammo reloaded will save you about 1000 dollars compared at buying ammo at 16.00 a box.
    1000 bucks buys a couple of new toys!
    That is my 2 cents.
    Peter

(Centre County)

Depends, are you looking to get into reloading in the future? Do you have a gun now that you want to reload for? If you don't have anything that you want to reload for right now, why buy the reloading equipment? I'd either buy your dads GP100 (if he is selling) or buy one of your own and buy some ammo to go along with it. Then start saving again for the M&P or the reloading equipment. IMO, you can't go wrong with a GP100.

That said, you could buy the reloading equipment and supplies for the caliber of the gun you are going to buy and start loading ammo to build up a supply for when you buy the gun. But what happens if you change you mind and get a different caliber?

I would get the gun and accessories you want first, then down the road get the reloading equipment.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Dauphin County)

yes.. get them both..

you can get a basic reload setup pretty cheap, especially if you can find a used one
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Bucks County)

If you plan on shooting 38spl/357mag in the future, get the reloading equipment. Your Dads' Ruger will always be there when you need it. Buying factory ammo right now is a bitch(I imagine..hehe) and the pleasure of shooting 38spl/357mag is severely tempered by the high cost. When I go to the range, I shoot at least 250 rounds for each caliber. In 38spl at Walmart price for WWB is $31 for 100. That's $77. For 357mag at $45 for 100, that's $112! When I reload, 38spl costs me around $25 for the same 250rnds. The 357mag costs me a bit more because I use jacketed bullets, but still around $34 for 250rnds. You do the math. Some say you don't save any money because you shoot more, and that's true. But the extra fun you have shooting more makes it worthwhile.

(Monroe County)

My suggestion (take it for what its worth)

Buy the M&P!

Reasons:

M&P will definately get slapped by a new AWB, high capacity and semi-auto

Revolvers will most likely not get hit as they hold 6 rounds and are not dangerous. plus they are used for hunting so they will dodge it for that also

- Reloading supplies are going to get more expensive but I don't see the cost of reloading setups going up that much. Once again, most reloading is not done by the AW people, its done by hunters.

I would suggest if you have the cash to pickup an over priced AK if you can find one... but as that wasn't a choice I would go with whatever is going to get hit with the ban
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    My suggestion (take it for what its worth)

Buy the M&P!

Reasons:

M&P will definately get slapped by a new AWB, high capacity and semi-auto

Revolvers will most likely not get hit as they hold 6 rounds and are not dangerous. plus they are used for hunting so they will dodge it for that also

- Reloading supplies are going to get more expensive but I don't see the cost of reloading setups going up that much. Once again, most reloading is not done by the AW people, its done by hunters.

I would suggest if you have the cash to pickup an over priced AK if you can find one... but as that wasn't a choice I would go with whatever is going to get hit with the ban
    And we'll take it for what it's worth. Buying an AK as an answer to "new gun(M&P) or reloading kit" doesn't address the question. As far as a possible ban including semi-auto handguns, that's ridiculous. The ban would be on the hi-cap magazines, not the average semi-auto pistol.
    But..just to test my theory..."black"..??...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    And we'll take it for what it's worth. Buying an AK as an answer to "new gun(M&P) or reloading kit" doesn't address the question. As far as a possible ban including semi-auto handguns, that's ridiculous. The ban would be on the hi-cap magazines, not the average semi-auto pistol.
    But..just to test my theory..."black"..??...
    As always thanks for your extremly worthless post

- the M&P holds more then 10 rounds... hence it will be impacted by the AWB

- I know the AK wasn't an answer... HENCE WHY I SAID IT WASN'T

Black? what?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

If you've got a gun to shoot, I'd get at least a basic reloading setup.

If you don't have a gun to shoot.... well, there's nothing to reload for, so it's your American duty to fix that!!

You can get the basics (very basic, but you can make ammo) for reloading for less than $75. Actually, I posted in another thread a few days ago exactly what I had and how I did it. Over in the reloading section, I think.

Lee has anniversary kits that are a great deal. Everything but dies. You can have a decent single stage reloading setup for about $130.

Of course, if you REALLY want to get both a gun and into reloading, you can get a Lee Classic Loader. Everything you need to reload (except for the mallet, hearing protection, and a place you can hammer without bugging everybody) for $16 per caliber. It actually works very well.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

well this would be my first real pistol, i have a .22 mark III hunter and some rifles/shotguns but not a "real" pistol altho i can outshoot all my dads guns with my 22 i still want a round that will stop something in its track without hitting him in the exact right spot. and i didnt mean like i wanted something so powerful or anything like that i meant something that will let them know oh CRAP, this dude aint playing, etc. and i like your videos on youtube JoeWilliams i especially like how your training your son to be comfortable and safe around firearms thats just about exactly when i started shooting with my dad